CollectionTraditional Music and Spoken Word The audio recordings represented in the catalog were recorded between 1897 and 1962. The majority of these are lacquer and aluminum-based instantaneous disc recordings made between 1933 and 1950. The handful of...
- Date: 1897
CollectionAfrican-American Band Music & Recordings, 1883-1923 The core of this presentation consists of "stock" arrangements for bands or small orchestras of popular songs written by African Americans. In addition, we offer a smaller selection of historic sound recordings...
- Date: 1883
Collection Items: View 353 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection of Michigan and Wisconsin Recordings In 1938 the Library of Congress dispatched the pioneering folklorist and song collector Alan Lomax—already a seasoned field worker at age 23—to conduct a folk song survey of the Great Lakes region....
- Contributor: Pope, Allan C. - Fredrickson, John - Vizina, Adelore - Delmas, Adolphus - Carrière, Fred - Hulan - Guzal, Frank - Dragić, Todor - Marttila - Leclaire, Leilia ... Pope, Allan C. - Fredrickson, John - Vizina, Adelore - Delmas, Adolphus - Carrière, Fred - Hulan - Guzal, Frank - Dragić, Todor - Marttila - Leclaire, Leilia - Scheffer, Peter - Baratono, Art - Styes, Archie - Maté - Larson, John - Frazier, Clara - Marinetti, John - Norman, John - Szabo, Andy - Strzelecki, Tony - Bellaire, Exilia - Allen, Perry - Kallio, Kalle - Miron, Joe - Pischner, Helen - Cadeau, Ed - Korvenpaa, Charles - McCauley, Edward - Thrasher, Ed - Bonner, Patrick - Niewiadomska, Frances - Marczis, Joseph - Szilagyi, Dizso - Frazier, Calvin - Similä, Gusti - Erickson, Max - Gallagher, Dominic - Frazier, Lonnie - Velin, Maria - Floriani, Margaret - Cadeau, John - Floriani, Veko - McBride, Bill - Nemeth, Kalman - King, Edward - Berky, Nandor - Härkönen, Amanda - Pohjala, Aina - Tomić, Pajo - Olah, Julius - Kania, Felix - Lomax, Alan - Green, John W. - Happy Jack Woodward - Frazier, Belle - Maki, Frank - Lathrop, Carl - Bellaire, Mose - Frazier, Viola - Bangac, Petar - Vujanović, Stjepan - Wells, Lester - Dobričan, Lazar - Larson, Nils - Aho, Pekka - Ricksgers, Joseph - Maki, Emil - Romel, Adolph - Romel, Ted - Pol, Thomas - Sielvankiewiez - Krawezak, B. - Gaza, V. Sipoo - Wallen, Mr. - O'Donnell, Mike J. - Kruczynski, Clara - Cadeau, Mathilda - Preda, Emil Milan - Bonner, Daniel - Archive of American Folk Song - Romel, Leo - Rajčević, Stepan - Hirvelä, Wäin - Ketvirtis, Charles - Marinetti, Victor - Mahoski, Henry - Jackson, Andrew - Juhani, Aapo - Halinen, Selma Elona - McCarthy, Barney - Basrak, Stjepan - Fredrickson, Kaisa - Romel - McDonough, Patrick - Pittman, Sampson - Graham, Bert - Meyers, Herman - Lewandowski, Stephanie - Trivanović, Stefan - Cloud, Joe - Warslzyk, Tony - Rautanen, Vernon - Kubesh, John G. - Gallagher, Andrew E. - Lewandowski, Stephan - Romel, Sylvester - Larson, Steen - Grbić, Ludevit - Viita, Frank - Palmer, Mason - Forster, Yalmer Eino - Cloud, Clarence - Vasvary, Steve - Sainović, Ilija - Gallagher, Emerald - Lewandowski, Edwina - Carrière, Dolphis - McCormick, Ed - Kubien, Rose - Lewandowski, Ted - Floriani, Vladimir - Aho, Lillian - Hyvönen, John - Trueblood, Asel - Rudzinski, Alex - Brideup, Louis
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 444 Items
CollectionAmerican English Dialect Recordings: The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection contains 118 hours of recordings documenting North American English dialects. The recordings include speech samples, linguistic interviews, oral histories, conversations, and excerpts from public speeches. They...
- Contributor: Mele, Joseph C. - Mencken, H. L. (Henry Louis) - National Endowment for the Humanities - Aspinall, Wayne N. - Earhart, Amelia - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Marshall, Fred - La Guardia, Fiorello H. (Fiorello Henry) - Abbott, Fortis - Emerson, Lee - American Folklife Center - Christian, Donna - Center for Applied Linguistics
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 506 Items
CollectionMusic for the Nation: American Sheet Music, ca. 1870-1885 Consists of over 47,000 pieces of sheet music registered for copyright during the years 1870 to 1885. Included are popular songs, piano music, sacred and secular choral music, solo instrumental music, method...
- Date: 1870
Collection Items: View 47,006 Items
CollectionArchive of Recorded Poetry and Literature Listen to audio-recorded readings of former Consultants in Poetry Elizabeth Bishop, Gwendolyn Brooks and Robert Frost; Nobel Laureates Mario Vargas Llosa and Czeslaw Milosz, and renowned writers such as Ray Bradbury, Margaret...
Collection Items: View 837 Items
CollectionBess Lomax Hawes Collection The Bess Lomax Hawes collection is comprised of papers, photographs, and audiovisual materials relating to the career and personal life of folk arts administrator, folklorist, ethnomusicologist, filmmaker, musician, and teacher Bess Lomax...
- Contributor: National Endowment for the Arts. Folk Arts Program - Hawes, Bess Lomax - Hawes, Butch
- Date: 1894
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionBlue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project The Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project was conducted by the American Folklife Center in cooperation with the National Park Service. Ten folklorists from the American Folklife Center conducted fieldwork in August and...
- Contributor: Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna ... Mullen, Patrick B. - Richardson, Larry - Bryan, Mamie - Jarrell, Tommy - Severt, Carrie - Wolfe, Charles K. - Owen, Blanton - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - United States. National Park Service - Todd, Zenna - Marshall, Howard W. - Owen, Margaret Counts - Wilson, Joe - Shockley, Maggie - Jabbour, Alan - Choate, Donna - Eiler, Terry - Fleischhauer, Carl - American Folklife Center - Johnson, Geraldine Niva - Adler, Thomas A. - Patton, Ila - Ray, Roxie - Blue Ridge Parkway Folklife Project - Eiler, Lyntha Scott - Cruise, Crystal - Stanley, Lura
- Date: 1977
Collection Items: View 2,103 Items
CollectionNow What a Time: Blues, Gospel, and the Fort Valley Music Festivals, 1938-1943 Consists of approximately one hundred sound recordings, primarily blues and gospel songs, and related documentation from the folk festival at Fort Valley State College (now Fort Valley State University), Fort Valley, Georgia....
- Contributor: Bond, James - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Richardson, Zema - Thomas, John Lee - Holloway High School Quartet - Winrow, Anthony - Parker, Cleve - Fisk University - Ezell, Buster - Smith Band (Musical Group) ... Bond, James - Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Peach County, Ga.). Choir - Richardson, Zema - Thomas, John Lee - Holloway High School Quartet - Winrow, Anthony - Parker, Cleve - Fisk University - Ezell, Buster - Smith Band (Musical Group) - Gibson, Gus - Ellis, Charles - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Stripling, Sidney - Mathis, Allison - Turner, Oscar - Monch, Matthew - Work, John W. (John Wesley) - Turner, Alma - Turner, Monroe - Chastain, Will - Bond, Edward - Chestain, Sonny - Ford, T. J. - Jackson, Deacon Sam - Heavenly Gate Quartet - Gaines, Elwood - Gregory, Richard - Johnson, Warren G. - Traveller Home Singers - Spiritual Four Quartet - Ford, Osa
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 181 Items
CollectionCaptain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal Captain Pearl R. Nye: Life on the Ohio and Erie Canal captures the culture and music of the men, women, and children who worked and lived along the Ohio and Erie Canal....
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Lomax, John A. (John Avery) - Nye, Pearl R. - Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1937
Collection Items: View 141 Items
CollectionChicago Ethnic Arts Project Collection The Chicago Ethnic Arts Project survey was conducted in 1977 by the American Folklife Center at the request of the Illinois Arts Council to assess and document the status of ethnic art...
- Contributor: Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl ... Swenson, Greta E. - Moloney, Mick - Robinson, Beverly J. - Mathias, Elizabeth - Epstein, Shifra - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - González, José Gamaliel - Kalčik, Susan J. - Kubose, Minnie Somi - Fleischhauer, Carl - Mack, James - Dovydenas, Jonas - Brzovich, Mato - Trbuhovic-Grasa, Gordana - Choi, Chungmoo - Bradunas, Elena - Fiske-Rusciano, Roberta - Bartis, Peter - Hellenberg, Antony - Klymasz, Robert Bogdan - George, Philip B. - March, Richard - American Folklife Center - Chicago Ethnic Arts Project - Libonati, Roland V. (Roland Victor) - Metcalfe, Ralph H. - Klymasz, Shirley - Lund, Jens - Illinois Arts Council
- Date: 1976
Collection Items: View 1,138 Items
CollectionColorado Folklife Project Collection The Colorado Folklife Project was sponsored by the American Folklife Center, Library of Congress, working with John D. Farr, representative of the Rocky Mountain Continental Divide Foundation, Frisco, Colorado, to assist in...
- Contributor: Natanson, Barbara Orbach - American Folklife Center - Emrich, Ron - Dettmer, Elke - Marshall, Howard W. - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1980
Collection Items: View 130 Items
CollectionCoptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant and Hymnody With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the...
- Contributor: Wilson, Marian Robertson - Newlandsmith, Ernest - Moftah, Ragheb - Tóth, Margit
- Date: 1926
Collection Items: View 361 Items
CollectionThe Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine Collection Danny Kaye and Sylvia Fine in London American actor, singer and comedian Danny Kaye arrives with his wife, Sylvia Fine, for an appearance in London. November 1948. Following the professional lives of...
- Contributor: Dena Pictures, Inc - McDowall, Roddy - Fine, Sylvia - Halsman, Philippe - Kaye, Danny - Kaye (Danny)/FINE (Sylvia) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 1,974 Items
CollectionEmile Berliner and the Birth of the Recording Industry This collection showcases the work of Emile Berliner, a prominent inventor at the end of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth centuries. Overlooked by today's historians, Berliner's creative genius rivaled...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 2002
Collection Items: View 532 Items
CollectionEthnic Heritage and Language Schools in America Project The Ethnic Heritage and Language Schools in America Project was conducted in 1982 by the American Folklife Center to survey selected religious and secular ethnic community-based schools conducted, at least in part,...
- Contributor: Long, Lucy M. - Proschan, Frank - Deak, Frank - Marks, Morton - Cech, Barbara - Leung, John - Skillman, Amy E. - McCallum, Brenda - Arocho, Rudy - Davis, Lee ... Long, Lucy M. - Proschan, Frank - Deak, Frank - Marks, Morton - Cech, Barbara - Leung, John - Skillman, Amy E. - McCallum, Brenda - Arocho, Rudy - Davis, Lee - Bromberg, Joann Berlin - American Folklife Center - Gates, Bob - Fleischhauer, Carl - Vidutis, Richard - Basa, Peter - Fast, Jana - Kloberdanz, Timothy J. - Penti, Marsha Elizabeth - McClain, Margy - Fish, Lydia M. - Baird, Scott J. - Webber, Philip E. - Bradunas, Elena - Bell, Carole O. - Tarhan, Lance - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Seipel, Sandy - Topping, Brett - Feintuch, Burt - Westover, Victoria - Sacks, Maurie - Dwyer-Shick, Susan - Conklin, Nancy Faires - Miller, Jefferson - Haas, Mary-Louise - Nagy, Susan Mary
- Date: 1982
Collection Items: View 788 Items
CollectionFlorida Folklife from the WPA Collections, 1937-1942 Florida Folklife from the WPA Collections combines sound recordings and manuscript materials from four discrete archival collections made by Work Projects Administration (WPA) workers from the Joint Committee on Folk Arts, the...
- Contributor: Kennedy, Stetson - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 494 Items
CollectionThe Gerry Mulligan Collection [Portrait of Gerry Mulligan, ca. 1980s] by William P. Gottlieb. Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress. As a saxophonist, composer, arranger and band leader, Gerry Mulligan (1927-1996) is a jazz legend....
- Contributor: Grusin, Dave - Mandel, Johnny - Dankworth, John - Cohn, Al. - Boras, Tom - Handy, George - Forman, Mitchel - McFarland, Gary - Mulligan, Gerry - Holman, Bill - Lee, Julian - Brookmeyer, Bob
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 148 Items
CollectionFiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection Fiddle Tunes of the Old Frontier: The Henry Reed Collection presents traditional fiddle tunes performed by Henry Reed of Glen Lyn, Virginia. Recorded by folklorist Alan Jabbour in 1966-67, when Reed was...
- Contributor: Jabbour, Alan - Reed, Henry - Ricci, Glenn - Glenroy, William B. - Reed, Watha - Reed, Gene - American Folklife Center
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 292 Items
CollectionHispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection Hispano Music and Culture of the Northern Rio Grande: The Juan B. Rael Collection is an online presentation of an ethnographic field collection documenting religious and secular music of Spanish-speaking residents of...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Rael, Juan Bautista - Lobato, Salomé - Martínez Y Lavadi, Samuel - Archuleta, Ricardo - American Folklife Center - Chávez, Adelaido - Romero, Alfredo - Lamadrid, Enrique R. - Lobato, Julián ... Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Rael, Juan Bautista - Lobato, Salomé - Martínez Y Lavadi, Samuel - Archuleta, Ricardo - American Folklife Center - Chávez, Adelaido - Romero, Alfredo - Lamadrid, Enrique R. - Lobato, Julián - Cantú, José Ignacio - Mares, Remigio - García, Pedro - Medina, Esteban - Espinosa, Rosabel L. - Montoya, Luis - Arellano, Narciso - Arellano, Esequiel - Archive of Folk Song (U.S.) - Trujillo, Amado - Chávez, Adolfo - Anaya, Nieves - Anaya, Ernestina
- Date: 1940
Collection Items: View 226 Items
CollectionAfter the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor After the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor presents approximately twelve hours of opinions recorded in the days and months following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii,...
- Date: 1941
Collection Items: View 139 Items