CollectionAaron Copland Collection The first release of the online collection contains approximately 1,000 items that yield a total of about 5,000 images. These items date from 1899 to 1981, with most from the 1920s through...
- Contributor: Kraft, Victor - Copland, Aaron
- Date: 1841
Collection Items: View 982 Items
CollectionAbdul Hamid II Collection This collection contains 1,819 photographs in 51 large-format albums date from about 1880 to 1893. They portray the Ottoman Empire during the reign of one of its last sultans, Abdul-Hamid II and...
- Contributor: Sebah & Joaillier - Abdullah Frères - Abdülhamid II
- Date: 1880
Collection Items: View 1,819 Items
CollectionAbdul-Hamid II Collection of Books and Serials Gifted to the Library of Congress In 1884 Sultan Abdul-Hamid II gifted the Library of Congress with a collection of Ottoman Turkish, Persian, Arabic works that he had richly embossed with this inscription in English, French and Ottoman:...
Collection Items: View 323 Items
CollectionAbraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress The papers of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), lawyer, representative from Illinois, and sixteenth president of the United States, contain approximately 40,550 documents dating from 1774 to 1948, although most of the collection spans...
- Contributor: Lincoln, Abraham
Collection Items: View 20,206 Items
CollectionAfghanistan Web Archive Collection Period: July 2, 2009 to December 8, 2010. The Afghanistan Web Archive is comprised primarily of websites produced by the Afghan government, specifically the executive branch. Also included are a selection...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Library of Congress. African and Middle Eastern Division
- Date: 2009
Collection Items: View 22 Items
CollectionAfghanistan, Iran, Pakistan Government Web Archive This collection consists of official government websites for Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan and provides an overview of the political, economic, administrative and social situation in these three countries. Several of these governmental...
Collection Items: View 223 Items
CollectionAfrican American Perspectives: Materials Selected from the Rare Book Collection "African American Perspectives" gives a panoramic and eclectic review of African American history and culture and is primarily comprised of two collections in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division: the African...
- Date: 1875
Collection Items: View 862 Items
CollectionAfrican American Photographs Assembled for 1900 Paris Exposition The Paris Exposition of 1900 (Exposition universelle internationale de 1900) devoted a building to matters of "social economy." The United States section of the building featured an exhibit that, according to W....
- Contributor: Daniel Murray Collection (Library of Congress) - Calloway, Thomas J. - Du Bois, W. E. (William Edward Burghardt)
- Date: 1899
Collection Items: View 557 Items
CollectionAfrican-American Band Music & Recordings, 1883-1923 The core of this presentation consists of "stock" arrangements for bands or small orchestras of popular songs written by African Americans. In addition, we offer a smaller selection of historic sound recordings...
- Date: 1883
Collection Items: View 365 Items
CollectionAfter the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor After the Day of Infamy: "Man-on-the-Street" Interviews Following the Attack on Pearl Harbor presents approximately twelve hours of opinions recorded in the days and months following the bombing of Pearl Harbor from...
- Date: 1941
Collection Items: View 139 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection The Alan Lomax Collection includes ethnographic field documentation, materials from Lomax’s various projects, and cross-cultural research created and collected by Alan Lomax and others on traditional song, music, dance, and body movement...
- Contributor: Association for Cultural Equity - Archive of American Folk Song - Lomax, Alan - American Folklife Center
- Date: 1933
Collection Items: View 6,605 Items
CollectionAlan Lomax Collection of Michigan and Wisconsin Recordings In 1938 the Library of Congress dispatched the pioneering folklorist and song collector Alan Lomax—already a seasoned field worker at age 23—to conduct a folk song survey of the Great Lakes region....
- Contributor: Pope, Allan C. - Fredrickson, John - Vizina, Adelore - Delmas, Adolphus - Carrière, Fred - Hulan - Guzal, Frank - Dragić, Todor - Marttila - Leclaire, Leilia ... Pope, Allan C. - Fredrickson, John - Vizina, Adelore - Delmas, Adolphus - Carrière, Fred - Hulan - Guzal, Frank - Dragić, Todor - Marttila - Leclaire, Leilia - Scheffer, Peter - Baratono, Art - Styes, Archie - Maté - Larson, John - Frazier, Clara - Marinetti, John - Norman, John - Szabo, Andy - Strzelecki, Tony - Bellaire, Exilia - Allen, Perry - Kallio, Kalle - Miron, Joe - Pischner, Helen - Cadeau, Ed - Korvenpaa, Charles - McCauley, Edward - Thrasher, Ed - Bonner, Patrick - Niewiadomska, Frances - Marczis, Joseph - Szilagyi, Dizso - Frazier, Calvin - Similä, Gusti - Erickson, Max - Gallagher, Dominic - Frazier, Lonnie - Velin, Maria - Floriani, Margaret - Cadeau, John - Floriani, Veko - McBride, Bill - Nemeth, Kalman - King, Edward - Berky, Nandor - Härkönen, Amanda - Pohjala, Aina - Tomić, Pajo - Olah, Julius - Kania, Felix - Lomax, Alan - Green, John W. - Happy Jack Woodward - Frazier, Belle - Maki, Frank - Lathrop, Carl - Bellaire, Mose - Frazier, Viola - Bangac, Petar - Vujanović, Stjepan - Wells, Lester - Dobričan, Lazar - Larson, Nils - Aho, Pekka - Ricksgers, Joseph - Maki, Emil - Romel, Adolph - Romel, Ted - Pol, Thomas - Sielvankiewiez - Gaza, V. Sipoo - Wallen, Mr. - O'Donnell, Mike J. - Kruczynski, Clara - Cadeau, Mathilda - Preda, Emil Milan - Bonner, Daniel - Archive of American Folk Song - Romel, Leo - Rajčević, Stepan - Hirvelä, Wäin - Ketvirtis, Charles - Marinetti, Victor - Mahoski, Henry - Jackson, Andrew - Juhani, Aapo - Halinen, Selma Elona - McCarthy, Barney - Basrak, Stjepan - Fredrickson, Kaisa - Romel - McDonough, Patrick - Pittman, Sampson - Graham, Bert - Meyers, Herman - Lewandowski, Stephanie - Trivanović, Stefan - Cloud, Joe - Warslzyk, Tony - Rautanen, Vernon - Kubesh, John G. - Gallagher, Andrew E. - Lewandowski, Stephan - Romel, Sylvester - Krawezak - Larson, Steen - Grbić, Ludevit - Viita, Frank - Palmer, Mason - Forster, Yalmer Eino - Cloud, Clarence - Vasvary, Steve - Sainović, Ilija - Gallagher, Emerald - Lewandowski, Edwina - Carrière, Dolphis - McCormick, Ed - Kubien, Rose - Lewandowski, Ted - Floriani, Vladimir - Aho, Lillian - Hyvönen, John - Trueblood, Asel - Rudzinski, Alex - Brideup, Louis
- Date: 1938
Collection Items: View 444 Items
CollectionAlexander Graham Bell Family Papers at the Library of Congress The collection contains over 145,000 items. The online version contains 4,695 items (equaling about 51,500 images), consists of correspondence, scientific notebooks, journals, blueprints, articles, and photographs documenting Bell's invention of the telephone...
- Contributor: Fairchild, Marian - Bell, Mabel Gardiner Hubbard - Bell, Alexander Graham - Hubbard, Gardiner G. (Gardiner Greene) - Bell, Alexander Melville
Collection Items: View 4,715 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton (ca. 1757-1804), first treasury secretary of the United States, consist of his personal and public correspondence, drafts of his writings (although not his Federalist essays), and correspondence...
- Contributor: First Church in Albany - Hamilton, Alexander
Collection Items: View 882 Items
CollectionAlexander Hamilton Stephens Papers The papers of Alexander Hamilton Stephens (1812-1883), lawyer, journalist, governor of Georgia, member of both houses of the United States Congress, and vice president of the Confederate States of America, span the...
- Contributor: Stephens, Alexander H. (Alexander Hamilton)
Collection Items: View 124 Items
CollectionThe Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana The collection contains more than 11,100 items. This online release presents over 1,300 items with a over 4,000 images and a date range of 1824-1931. It includes the complete collection of Stern's...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana (Library of Congress) - Stern, Alfred Whital
- Date: 1824
Collection Items: View 1,541 Items
CollectionAmerica at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915 Work, school, and leisure activities in the United States from 1894 to 1915 are featured in this presentation of 150 motion pictures. Highlights include films of the United States Postal Service from...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress. Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 158 Items
CollectionAmerica Singing: Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets Contains 4291 song sheets. Included among these American songs are ninety-seven British song sheets from Dublin and London. The collection spans the period from the turn of the nineteenth century to the...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Rare Book and Special Collections Division
- Date: 1999
Collection Items: View 4,293 Items
CollectionAn American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, ca. 1490-1920 A collection of over two hundred social dance manuals at the Library of Congress. The list begins with a rare late fifteenth-century source, Les basses danses de Marguerite d'Autriche (c.1490) and ends...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Music Division
- Date: 1998
Collection Items: View 332 Items
CollectionAmerican Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive The American Civil War Sesquicentennial Web Archive is a collection of websites presenting various projects and events in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War. This anniversary is historically...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. Researcher and Reference Services Division - Library of Congress
- Date: 2011
Collection Items: View 196 Items
CollectionAmerican Colony in Jerusalem, 1870-2006 This electronic presentation features selected materials from the physical American Colony in Jerusalem Collection. The full collection in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress represents well over 16,600 items stemming...
- Contributor: Spafford, Anna T. - Spafford, Horatio Gates - American Colony (Jerusalem) - Vester, Bertha Spafford
Collection Items: View 131 Items
CollectionAmerican English Dialect Recordings: The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection The Center for Applied Linguistics Collection contains 118 hours of recordings documenting North American English dialects. The recordings include speech samples, linguistic interviews, oral histories, conversations, and excerpts from public speeches. They...
- Contributor: Mele, Joseph C. - Mencken, H. L. (Henry Louis) - National Endowment for the Humanities - Aspinall, Wayne N. - Earhart, Amelia - Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Marshall, Fred - La Guardia, Fiorello H. (Fiorello Henry) - Abbott, Fortis - Emerson, Lee - American Folklife Center - Christian, Donna - Center for Applied Linguistics
- Date: 1935
Collection Items: View 505 Items
CollectionAmerican Leaders Speak: Recordings from World War I The Nation's Forum recordings were made between 1918 and 1920 in an effort to preserve the voices of prominent Americans; in most cases, they are the only surviving recordings of a speaker....
- Contributor: Wood, Leonard - Daniels, Josephus - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Coolidge, Calvin - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Poindexter, Miles - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - White, George - Baker, Newton Diehl ... Wood, Leonard - Daniels, Josephus - Rockefeller, John D., (John Davison) - Hitchcock, Gilbert M. (Gilbert Monell) - Coolidge, Calvin - Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano) - Poindexter, Miles - Hays, Will H. (Will Harrison) - White, George - Baker, Newton Diehl - Clark, Champ - Lane, Franklin K. - McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs) - Long, Breckinridge - Owen, Robert L. (Robert Latham) - De Valera, Éamon - Pershing, John J. (John Joseph) - Gerard, James W. (James Watson) - Palmer, A. Mitchell (Alexander Mitchell) - Cummings, Homer S. (Homer Stillé) - Purdy, Richard A. (Richard Augustus) - Lodge, Henry Cabot - Gompers, Samuel - Robinson, Corinne Roosevelt - Butler, Nicholas Murray - Colby, Bainbridge - Harding, Warren G. (Warren Gamaliel) - Wise, Stephen S. (Stephen Samuel) - Lewis, James - Vanderlip, Frank A. (Frank Arthur) - Cox, James M. (James Middleton)
- Date: 1918
Collection Items: View 97 Items
CollectionAmerican Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940 This collection of life histories consists of approximately 2,900 documents, compiled and transcribed by more than 300 writers from 24 states, working on the Folklore Project of the Federal Writers’ Project, a...
- Contributor: Writers' Program (U.S.) - Federal Writers' Project - United States. Works Progress Administration - United States. Work Projects Administration
Collection Items: View 2,847 Items
CollectionAmerican Music Industry Web Archive The American Music Industry Web Archive captures the websites of individuals and companies that represent music creators and are involved broadly in the business of music. This includes mainstream and independent record...
Collection Items: View 24 Items
CollectionAmerican Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920 Comprises 253 published narratives by Americans and foreign visitors recounting their travels in the colonies and the United States and their observations and opinions about American peoples, places, and society from about...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 2003
Collection Items: View 255 Items
CollectionAmerican Revolution and Its Era: Maps and Charts of North America and the West Indies, 1750-1789 The collection represents an important historical record of the mapping of North America and the Caribbean. Most of the items presented here are documented in Maps and Charts of North America and...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program - Library of Congress. Geography and Map Division
- Date: 2000
Collection Items: View 1,432 Items
CollectionAmerican Variety Stage: Vaudeville and Popular Entertainment, 1870-1920 This collection illustrates the vibrant and diverse forms of popular entertainment, especially vaudeville, that thrived from 1870-1920. Included are 334 English- and Yiddish-language playscripts, 146 theater playbills and programs, 61 motion pictures,...
- Contributor: Library of Congress. National Digital Library Program
- Date: 1996
CollectionAndre Kostelanetz Collection Andre Kostelanetz (1901-1980) was a Russian-born conductor, arranger, and pianist known for juxtaposing popular and classical repertoire in radio broadcasts during the 1930s and 1940s. He had a highly successful concert career...
- Contributor: Kostelanetz, Andre
- Date: 1922
Collection Items: View 177 Items
CollectionAndrew Jackson Papers The Andrew Jackson Papers is one of twenty-three presidential collections in the Manuscript Division of the Library of Congress. The Jackson archival collection contains more than 26,000 items dating from 1767 to...
- Contributor: Jackson, Andrew
Collection Items: View 17,171 Items
CollectionAnna E. Dickinson Papers The papers of lecturer, reformer, actress, and author Anna Elizabeth Dickinson (1842-1932) span the period 1859-1951, but are chiefly concentrated in the years from 1859 to 1911. The collection consists of approximately...
- Contributor: Dickinson, Anna E. (Anna Elizabeth)
Collection Items: View 404 Items
CollectionAnna Maria Brodeau Thornton Papers The seven volumes of diaries and notebooks, 1793-1861, of Anna Maria Brodeau Thornton (ca.1775-1865) document her position at the center of a Washington, D.C., social circle that included George and Martha Washington,...
- Contributor: Thornton, Anna Maria Brodeau
Collection Items: View 12 Items
CollectionAnsel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar In 1943, Ansel Adams (1902-1984), America's most well-known photographer, documented the Manzanar War Relocation Center in California and the Japanese-Americans interned there during World War II. For the first time, digital scans...
- Contributor: Adams, Ansel
- Date: 1943
Collection Items: View 258 Items