The Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Summer Teacher Institutes are free and open to K-12 educators across all content areas, including teachers, school librarians, instructional technology specialists, and administrators in public, charter, independent or religiously affiliated schools, as well as home schooling parents.
Application and Participation Details
- Applicants may only apply to one program week per program year.
- Participants from any previous week-long Summer Teacher Institute or Seminar at the Library are not eligible.
- Applicants must submit a letter of support from an administrator or supervisor with their application.
- Pairs or teams are welcome to apply but must submit separate applications, which will be considered separately.
- Participants will be required to bring a wireless enabled laptop or tablet in order to complete work at the Library.
- Participants must be comfortable using the Internet for research and integrating digitized resources into classroom activities.
- Tuition and materials are provided at no cost to participants. Breakfast and lunch are also provided.
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. and for any required overnight accommodations.
- Participants will receive a certificate for 45 hours after attending the institute, implementing their activity, submitting the final reflection paper, and participating in the debrief webinar.
- Summer program participants have the option to complete additional requirements to earn three graduate credits in history from George Mason University.
About the Application
In addition to basic information, the application requires short responses to two questions as well as a letter of support from a school administrator or supervisor. You cannot save your application and return to it later. Please be prepared to answer the questions and submit the letter when you are ready to apply.
The two questions, each to be addressed in 600 characters or fewer, are:
- How will participation in the Library of Congress Summer Teacher Institute benefit your teaching practice?
- How do you plan to share what you learn at the Library of Congress program with other educators?
Letters of support should describe the candidate's overall qualifications for this program, educational leadership, use of technology for teaching and learning, or any additional qualifications for participation in a 2018 Library of Congress Summer Teacher Institute.
Ready to apply? Go to the Institute home page.