Creative Writing: Life During Wartime
Search on war for posters that reflect life during War World II in the United States and abroad. Take on the persona of someone who lived during that era, such as a blue-collar worker in the steel industry, an African-American soldier, or a Japanese American living on the West Coast, perhaps a child. Using the posters as a source of background information and authentic detail, write a short story or a character sketch with the following questions in mind.
- How do you feel about the conflict?
- Do you have any friends or relatives directly involved in the war effort? If so, what do they do and how do you feel about their involvement?
- What do you consider to be threatening your safety?
- How was your daily routine affected by the war?
- Did you take any extra steps to support the war effort?
- How would you describe the general attitude in the United States? Do you perceive a sense of fear, hope, determination, or something else?
- What types of research could you do to support your story?