Book/Printed Material Image 29 of Page view Page view
About this Item
- Les roses,
- No flower painter has so linked his name and immortality with a single genus as has Redouté with the rose. This three-volume set is Redouté most famous work; its 170 hand-colored plates are the most frequently reproduced of all botanical images. Pierre Joseph Redouté (1759-1840) was from a Belgian family of painters, and himself served, under various titles, as drawing master to the queens and princesses of France for half a century. Royal or aristocratic patronage was essential for the production of his many costly and lavishly illustrated works.
- The draftmanship of Redouté was both elegant and botanically accurate; for most viewers he had captured the rose. Shown here is one of only five special copies, printed in large folio format, on vélin paper, with a double set of plates, plain and colored, retouched by Redouté himself.
- Contributor Names
- Redouté, Pierre Joseph, 1759-1840.
- Thory, Claude-Antoine, 1759-1827.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- Paris, Imprimerie de Firmin Didot, 1817-24.
- Subject Headings
- - Roses
- - All plates in colored and uncolored state; first plate in 3 states.
- - In ms., on half title of v. 1: No. I. Je nay fait tirer que cinq exemplaire de mes Roses sur ce paper et de ce forma avec les figure en noire et en couleure, dont celui-cy et le nomero premier. Signed: Redouté.
- - "Bibliotheca botanica rosarum": v. 1, p. -156.
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 1892
- - Gift of Lessing J. Rosenwald, 1943-1975.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - LAC scc 2018-12-03 update (1 card)
- - LAC ecr 2018-12-17 review
- 3 v. 170 plates, port. 46 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- QK495.R78 R248
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Redouté, Pierre Joseph, Claude-Antoine Thory, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Les Roses. Paris, Imprimerie de Firmin Didot, -24, 1817. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/50049695/.
APA citation style:
Redouté, P. J., Thory, C. & Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1817) Les Roses. Paris, Imprimerie de Firmin Didot, -24. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/50049695/.
MLA citation style:
Redouté, Pierre Joseph, Claude-Antoine Thory, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Les Roses. Paris, Imprimerie de Firmin Didot, -24, 1817. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/50049695/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Prodrome de la monographie des espèces et variétés connues du genre rosier, divisées selon leur ordre ... Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Thory, Claude-Antoine
- Date: 1820
La botanique de J. J. Rousseau, The plates are of the first state without engr. titles. Cf G. Dunthorpe, Flower abd fruit prints of the 18th and early 19th centuries, 1938 no. 252. Imprint on verso of half...
- Contributor: Rousseau, Jean-Jacques - Redouté, Pierre Joseph - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1805
An essay on roses, Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Wellcome, M. D.
- Date: 1881
How to grow roses. Bibliography: p. 105. Earlier editions under Conard & Jones co., West Grove, Pa. Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Pyle, Robert - Conard & Jones Co., West Grove, Pa.
- Date: 1920
The book of roses. Added t.-p., illustrated. Also available in digital form.
- Contributor: Parkman, Francis
- Date: 1866