Book/Printed Material Image 26 of Page view Page view
About this Item
- [Book of hours].
- This superb French Book of Hours, written in a fine roman script on 113 leaves of pure white vellum, has been attributed to the French miniaturist, calligrapher, and printer, Geoffroy Tory. The manuscript contains sixteen full page miniatures, twenty-six small miniatures of the evangelists and saints, and sixteen illuminated borders. The date 1524 appears in a shield located in the gold border surrounding one of the large miniatures, and it has been assumed that the volume was executed in that year. The large miniatures are brilliantly colored and filled with a wealth of detail and the landscapes and interiors are delicately executed. Former owners of this distinguished manuscript include Girardot de Préfond, Duc de la Vallière, William Beckford, Robert Hoe, and Cortland F. Bishop.
- Contributor Names
- Catholic Church.
- Tory, Geoffroy, approximately 1480-approximately 1533, attributed name.
- Bure, Guillaume-François de, 1731-1782, former owner.
- Beckford, William, 1760-1844, former owner.
- Guyot de Villeneuve, François Gustave Adolphe, 1825-1898, former owner.
- Hoe, Robert, 1839-1909, former owner.
- Bishop, Cortlandt F. (Cortlandt Field), 1870-1935, former owner.
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Books of hours--Texts--Early works to 1800
- - Catholic Church--Prayers and devotions
- - Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern)--Washington (D.C.)
- - Illumination of books and manuscripts, French--Washington (D.C.)
- - Ms. written and decorated in Touraine? At one time erroneously attributed to Geoffroy Tory.
- - In Latin.
- - Library of Congress. Medieval and Renaissance ms. bks., 52
- - Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 14
- - Rosenwald (1954) 10
- - Ricci, S. de. Medieval and Renaissance mss., p. 1656, no. 9
- - Ricci, S. de. Medieval and Renaissance mss. (suppl.), p. 124, no. 157
- - Leaf [Ia] KL Ianuarius habet dies xxxi; calendar ens on leaf [6b]; leaf [8a]: Initium sancti euangelii secundum Ioannem; leaf [113b]: per omnia secula seculoru[m] Amen.
- - Miniature on leaf [79b] dated 1524.
- - Eighteenth-century French binding in the manner of Derôme.
- - Gift of Lessing J. Rosenwald. Former owners: Paul Girardot de Préfond; Louis Jean Gaignat; Guillaume François Debure; Louis César, duc de La Vallière; William Beckford; F.G.A. Guyot de Villeneuve; Robert Hoe; Cortlandt F. Bishop.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Form AACR2: vj46 12-04-91
- - LAC knj 2019-09-04 no edits (1 card)
- 113 leaves (23 lines (calendar 33 lines)), bound : parchment, col. ill. ; 24 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- BX2080 .A2 1524
- Rosenwald ms. no. 10
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
- Beckford, William
- Bishop, Cortlandt F. (Cortlandt Field)
- Bure, Guillaume-François De
- Catholic Church
- Guyot De Villeneuve, François Gustave Adolphe
- Hoe, Robert
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Tory, Geoffroy
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Catholic Church, Geoffroy Tory, Guillaume-François De Bure, William Beckford, François Gustave Adolphe Guyot De Villeneuve, Robert Hoe, Cortlandt F Bishop, and Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Book of Hours. 1524. Pdf. https://www.loc.gov/item/50041712/.
APA citation style:
Catholic Church, Tory, G., Bure, G. D., Beckford, W., Guyot De Villeneuve, F. G. A., Hoe, R. [...] Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. (1524) Book of Hours. [Pdf] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/50041712/.
MLA citation style:
Catholic Church, et al. Book of Hours. 1524. Pdf. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/50041712/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Die ghetiden vanden seuen bitscappen Onser Lieuer Vrouwen. Die seuē psalme Onser Lieuer Vrouwen mitter letanie ... Signatures: a-m⁸n⁴. Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 1094 Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site. LC copy: Illustrations are hand-colored. LC copy has bookplate of...
- Contributor: Enschedé, Joannes - Arkwright, Peter - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church - Enschedé, Johannes
- Date: 1503
Horas de Nossa S[e]nora segundo costume Roma[n]o, co[n] as horas do Spirito Sa[n]cto. Printed in black and red, with printed red initials. Signatures: a-p⁸. Goff H-404 Bohatta, H. Livres d'Heures (2. Aufl.), 1567 Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 451 Also available in digital...
- Contributor: Hopyl, Wolfgang - Brun, Narcisse - Arenberg, Prosper Louis - Paelinck, Joseph - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church
- Date: 1500
Hore in laudem Beatissime Virginis Marie : secundum consuetudinem Ecclesie Parisiensis. Signatures : a-r⁸, s⁴. Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 985 LC copy in Grolieresque binding by Lortic, with coat of arms of Charles Louis de Bourbon, Duke of Parma. Bookplates...
- Contributor: Bishop, Cortlandt F. (Cortlandt Field) - Carlo Ludovico - Tory, Geoffroy - Lortic, Marcelin - Du Bois, Simon - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church
- Date: 1527
Horæ in lavdem Beatiss. Virg. Mariae ad vsvm Romanvm.
Horae in laudem Beatiss. Virg. Mariae ad usum Romanum Signatures: A-Z⁸. Library of Congress. Lessing J. Rosenwald collection, 984 LC copy: On vellum. Rubricated throughout ; borders and illus. painted in various colors. LAC brd 2019-01-24 update (1 card)
- Contributor: Colines, Simon De - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church - Tory, Geoffroy
- Date: 1527
Horae Beatae Virginis Mariae ad usum Romanum. Begins (without title) with the cut Astrological man, on the reverse of which is the almanac for 20 years (1488-1508). Type 94G (same font as in BM 15th cent., VIII, p. 152)....
- Contributor: Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Meslier, Denis - Catholic Church
- Date: 1490