Photo, Print, Drawing Image 8 of Log loading and Tardif sawmill, Fort Kent, Maine
About this Item
- Log loading and Tardif sawmill, Fort Kent, Maine
- Contributor Names
- Whitman, David A., 1950- (Photographer)
- Created / Published
- Fort Kent, Maine, July 18, 1991
- Subject Headings
- - Folklore--Maine
- - Photographs
- - Ethnography
- - Documentary photographs
- - United States -- Maine -- Aroostook County -- Fort Kent
- Documentary photographs
- - Index data: These images document the loading of logs onto a railroad car in Fort Kent; 1-3, Logs are transferred from a log truck to a train car for shipment; These images document the sawmill owned by Danny Tardiff in Fort Kent; 6-8, Employee John Plourde of Fort Kent moves logs into position using a peavey; 9-11, Sawn boards are loaded onto a truck; 12-19, Logs are first squared off using a large circular saw. #12, Danny Tardiff uses a chainsaw to remove small pieces partially sawn off by the circular saw. Danny's father Raoul, former owner of the mill, operates the circular saw; 20, Logs positioned to be brought into the mill
- 35 mm color slide
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Call number: AFC 1991/029: DW-C061
- Field project identifier: MAP-DW-C061
- Source Collection
- Maine Acadian Cultural Survey collection (AFC 1991/029)
- American Folklife Center
- Digital Id
- Online Format
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress believes that some of the materials in this collection are in the public domain or have no known copyright restrictions, and are therefore free to use or reuse. For example, the fieldwork in this collection is in the public domain in the United States.
However, the Library has obtained permission for the use of other materials, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. For example, some of the recordings contain copyrighted music, and not all of the performers and other individuals who were recorded signed releases for public use of their work.
In addition, the American Folklife Center and the professional fieldworkers who carry out these projects feel a strong ethical responsibility to the people they have visited and who have consented to have their lives documented for the historical record. The Center asks that researchers approach the materials in this collection with respect for the culture and sensibilities of the people whose lives, ideas, and creativity are documented here. Researchers are also reminded that privacy and publicity rights may pertain to certain uses of this material.
Researchers or others who would like to make further use of these collection materials should contact the Folklife Reading Room for assistance. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit line: Maine Acadian Cultural Survey collection (AFC 1991/029), American Folklife Center, Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Whitman, David A. Log loading and Tardif sawmill, Fort Kent, Maine. Aroostook County Fort Kent Maine United States, 1991. Fort Kent, Maine. Photograph. https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1991029_dw_c061/.
APA citation style:
Whitman, D. A. (1991) Log loading and Tardif sawmill, Fort Kent, Maine. Aroostook County Fort Kent Maine United States, 1991. Fort Kent, Maine. [Photograph] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/afc1991029_dw_c061/.
MLA citation style:
Whitman, David A. Log loading and Tardif sawmill, Fort Kent, Maine. Fort Kent, Maine. Photograph. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/afc1991029_dw_c061/>.