Film, Video Ánnámáret
About this Item
- For her Homegrown concert, Ánnámáret is joined by two members of her Nieguid duovdagat project: Ilkka Heinonen (who specializes in folk music on the jouhikko, G-violone and contrabass) and Turkka Inkilä (who plays flutes and electronic instruments).
- Event Date
- April 07, 2021
- - Ánnámáret is the performing name of Sámi musician Anna Näkkäläjärvi-Länsman. Ánnámáret performs yoik, a distinctive singing and songwriting tradition of the Sámi people, and also plays clarinet. From 2012 to 2015, she worked as the Regional Artist for Sámi Culture. Her band Ánnámáret Ensemble has released two recordings of yoiks and songs for which she composed music and lyrics in the Sámi language. In recent years, she has explored the yoik tradition of her family by studying archival tapes of family members. Through this work, she has created the multi-form work of art called Nieguid duovdagat (Dreamscapes), in which yoiking, the playing of the bowed lyre called a jouhikko, and modern live electronics are combined with live visuals. Ánnámáret's strength as an artist springs from having grown up between two cultures and, thus, in understanding these cultures and their collisions and similarities.
- Running Time
- 32 minutes 48 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ánnámáret. 2021. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9745/.
APA citation style:
(2021) Ánnámáret. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9745/.
MLA citation style:
Ánnámáret. 2021. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9745/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoRiley Family Band Grammy-winning musician Steve Riley is a widely acclaimed master of the Cajun accordion. He began his musical career at seven, growing up in Mamou, Louisiana. As a teenager he honed his craft...
- Contributor: Riley Family Band
- Date: 2020-06-24
Film, VideoJohn McCutcheon For this concert, American folksinger John McCutcheon performs songs from the collections of the American Folklife Center in the Library of Congress, including his own.
- Contributor: McCutcheon, John
- Date: 2020-07-01
Film, VideoSihasin A performance by Sihasin, the musical duo of siblings Jeneda and Clayson Benally, award-winning musicians from the Diné Navajo Nation in Northern Arizona.
- Contributor: Benally, Clayson - Benally, Jeneda - Sihasin
- Date: 2020-07-08
Film, VideoAlasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas Alasdair Fraser has long been regarded as one of the greatest Scottish fiddlers playing today. His duo with Californian cellist Natalie Haas has helped reconstruct and revive the Scottish tradition of playing...
- Contributor: Haas, Natalie - Fraser, Alasdair
- Date: 2020-07-15
Film, VideoEmma Björling & Petrus Johansson Emma Björling (vocals) is one of the foremost singers of Swedish folksongs performing today. She is a member of the bands Lyy and Skye Consort with Emma Björling, as well as vocal...
- Contributor: Björling, Emma - Johansson, Peter
- Date: 2020-07-22