Film, Video Changüí Majadero
About this Item
- Changüí Majadero
- A concert of Cuban roots music by the California group Changüí Majadero.
- Event Date
- September 30, 2020
- - Founded by tres guitarist and vocalist Gabriel García, Changüí Majadero was the result of García's pivotal pilgrimage to the Guantanamo region of Cuba, where he learned the changüí from the living masters of the style and was inspired to spread the spirit of Cuban folkloric music mixed with a dash of East Los Angeles grit. Changüí is the predecessor of son cubano and salsa, a style of music specifically from the region of Guantanamo, Cuba. Its origins can be traced back to the 1800s, during the days of slavery in Cuba. Changüí is to Cuba and Latin America what the blues and early jazz is to American music. Changüí Majadero has played their modern take on changüí in such disparate settings such as Lincoln Center, SF Jazz, the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival and Dodger Stadium.
- Related Resources
- Homegrown Concerts: https://www.loc.gov/concerts/folklife/
- Running Time
- 42 minutes 23 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Changüí Majadero. 2020. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9465/.
APA citation style:
(2020) Changüí Majadero. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9465/.
MLA citation style:
Changüí Majadero. 2020. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-9465/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoRiley Family Band
- Contributor: Riley Family Band
- Date: 2020-06-24
Film, VideoJohn McCutcheon
- Contributor: McCutcheon, John
- Date: 2020-07-01
- Contributor: Benally, Clayson - Benally, Jeneda - Sihasin
- Date: 2020-07-08
Film, VideoAlasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas
- Contributor: Haas, Natalie - Fraser, Alasdair
- Date: 2020-07-15
Film, VideoEmma Björling & Petrus Johansson
- Contributor: Björling, Emma - Johansson, Peter
- Date: 2020-07-22