Film, Video Trance and Dance in Bali
About this Item
- Trance and Dance in Bali
- Contributor Names
- Mead, Margaret
- Bateson, Gregory
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Ethnographic films
- Ethnographic films
- - Summary: A performance of the kris dance, a Balinese ceremonial dance which dramatizes the never-ending struggle between the witch and the dragon--the death-dealing and the life-protecting--as it is given in the village of Pagoetan in 1937-1939. Dancers go into violent trance seizures and turn their krisses (daggers) against their breasts without injury. Consciousness is restored with incense and holy water. Balinese music forms a background for Dr. Margaret Mead's narration.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 2425201
- Source Collection
- Foerstel (Lenora) Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mead, Margaret, and Gregory Bateson. Trance and Dance in Bali. 1951. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02425201/.
APA citation style:
Mead, M. & Bateson, G. (1951) Trance and Dance in Bali. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02425201/.
MLA citation style:
Mead, Margaret, and Gregory Bateson. Trance and Dance in Bali. 1951. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs02425201/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoVerbena Tragica
- Contributor: Soler, Fernando - Cantabria Films - Columbia Pictures - Lamont, Charles - Torena, Juan - Alcaniz, Luana De
- Date: 1939
Film, VideoThe House I Live In
- Contributor: RKO Radio Pictures - Maltz, Albert - Sinatra, Frank - Stordahl, Alex
- Date: 1945
Film, VideoThe Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress
- Contributor: United States Army Eighth Air Force - Wyler, William - Kern, Ed - Paramount Pictures, Inc
- Date: 1944
Film, VideoThe Making of an American
- Contributor: Hedlund, Guy - Worcester Film Corporation - Connecticut State Board of Education
- Date: 1920
Film, VideoThe Middleton Family at the New York World's Fair
- Contributor: Steiner, William - Westinghouse Electric - Snody, Robert R. - Audio Productions
- Date: 1939