Film, Video Within Our Gates
About this Item
- Within Our Gates
- Contributor Names
- Preer, Evelyn
- Micheaux, Oscar
- Micheaux Film Corporation
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Fiction films
- - Feature films
- - Silent films
- - Social problem films
- Fiction films
- Feature films
- Silent films
- Social problem films
- - Sound: This moving image content is silent, and was created without sound or a soundtrack.
- - Summary: Abandoned by her fiancé, an educated negro woman with a shocking past dedicates herself to helping a near bankrupt school for impoverished negro youths. Within Our Gates was created in response to The Birth of a Nation which depicted southern whites in need of the Ku Klux Klan to protect them from blood thirsty blacks. Micheaux shows the reality of Dixie racism in 1920, where a black man could be lynched for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Film, Video
- Call Number/Physical Location
- Mavis identifier: 46435
- Source Collection
- AFI/Filmoteca Espanola Collection (Library Of Congress)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting And Recorded Sound Division
- Online Format
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in this collection. Items not subject to copyright are free to use and reuse.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Preer, Evelyn, Oscar Micheaux, and Micheaux Film Corporation. Within Our Gates. 1919. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00046435/.
APA citation style:
Preer, E., Micheaux, O. & Micheaux Film Corporation. (1919) Within Our Gates. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00046435/.
MLA citation style:
Preer, Evelyn, Oscar Micheaux, and Micheaux Film Corporation. Within Our Gates. 1919. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/mbrs00046435/>.