Notated Music The angel of death (Sketches)
About this Item
- The angel of death (Sketches)
- Reynolds, Roger -- 1934- (creator)
- IRCAM (Research institute : France) (funder)
- Agora Festival (Paris, France)
- - Piano with chamber orchestra
- - Piano and electronic music
- - Computer music
- - Electronic music
- - Musical sketches
- - Sketches for a musical composition for piano, chamber orchestra, and computer-processed sound by Roger Reynolds.
- - Title supplied by composer.
- - Cataloged from digital copy; original manuscript in the possession of the composer.
- - Commissioned by Ircam for the 2001 Agora Festival, Paris.
- - First performed: 7 June 2001, 2001 Agora Festival, Paris.
- - Duration: 34 min.
- - Leaf 1 is the first general sketch for the form of the chamber piano concerto: The angel of death. Leaf 2 is a more advanced plan for the overall form of The angel of death showing the placement of sections and their relative proportions. Leaf 3 is the first 6 and a half minutes of the fully developed plan for The angel of death. Leaf 4 is the "textural sketch" positing the nature and proportions of Theme 4 (of the work's five thematic elements.). Leaf 5 is the opening of the ensemble realization of the textural plan (shown in Leaf 4) for Theme 4 of The angel of death. Leaf 6 is the plan for the culminating computer segment (or "image" of The angel of death: S7.) (Content)
- manuscript sketch
-  leaves
- Music Division, Library of Congress
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may be content that is protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permission ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item.
In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses. The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history. Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Reynolds, Roger, Ircam, and Agora Festival. Theangel of death Sketches. Notated Music. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200029046/.
APA citation style:
Reynolds, R., Ircam & Agora Festival. Theangel of death Sketches. [Notated Music] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200029046/.
MLA citation style:
Reynolds, Roger, Ircam, and Agora Festival. Theangel of death Sketches. Notated Music. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200029046/>.