Film, Video Dunham Technique: "Congo Paillette"
About this Item
- Dunham Technique: "Congo Paillette"
- - Congo Paillette
- - Dunham Technique
- - Ballet dancing -- Study and teaching
- - Dunham, Katherine -- Teachings
- - In 2002, with funds from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, the Library of Congress undertook the documentation of Katherine Dunham’s dance technique. Included in this website are clips on breathing; contractions; fall and recovery; pull-through contraction or full body roll; second position plié with footwork; second position plié with parallel stretch in fourth position; second position plié with contraction and release variations; advanced second position leg lift; leg swings with single circle; leg swings with two circles; twelve-count leg swings; progressions including the Dunham walk—slow; Dunham walk—single step; Dunham walk—double step or triplets; fourth position contractions; rocking horse; and rocking horse with ronde de jambe; and progressions based on Haitian traditional dances including yonvalou, Congo Paillette, and mahi. (Content)
- - Rachel Tavernier, teacher; with Dara Adler, Corey Baker, Yasmine Lee, and Nicole Chantal de Weever. Gaston”Bonga” Jean-Baptiste, drummer. Recorded in New York in May 2003. (performers)
- - Vicky Risner, Executive Producer; Terry Carter, Producer/Director; Beate Glatved, Assistant to the Producer; Thomas Hurwitz, Director of Photography with funds from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation to the Library of Congress for the documentation of Katherine Dunham’s dance technique. (funding)
- - WebEdit 3.7.04 (videorecording identifier)
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
There may be content that is protected and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the bibliographic information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding items and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Items included here with the permission of the rights holders are indicated as such in the bibliographic record for each item. In some cases, the Library was unable to identify a possible rights holder and has elected to place some of those items online as an exercise of fair use for strictly non-commercial educational uses.
The Library of Congress would like to learn more about these materials and would like to hear from individuals or institutions that have any additional information or know of their history.
Please contact: Performing Arts Reading Room.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Music Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dunham Technique:"Congo Paillette". Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200003870/.
APA citation style:
Dunham Technique:"Congo Paillette". [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200003870/.
MLA citation style:
Dunham Technique:"Congo Paillette". Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/ihas.200003870/>.