Event Concerts and Performances Orpheus Chamber Orchestra with Chad Hoopes, Violin
Date and Location
When: Thursday, May 4, 2023
8:00 pm - 10:00 pm EDT
Where: St. Mark's Episcopal Church
301 A Street SE, Washington, DC 20003
Part of Concerts from the Library of Congress
Request ADA accommodations five business days in advance at (202) 707-6362 or ADA@loc.gov.
An exciting evening with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra honors the legacy of conductor Andre Kostelanetz, a champion for a remarkable range of American composers that included Aaron Copland, William Schuman and Jerome Kern. The opener is a new Library commission for film and concert composer Danny Elfman, a bow to Kostelanetz’s influential programs juxtaposing popular and classical music. “My greatest pleasure is when I can surprise the audience with my music,” writes Elfman, whose work includes scores for over 100 films and recent commissions from the London Philharmonic and San Francisco Symphony. The young American violinist Chad Hoopes plays the Mendelssohn concerto, before Jannina Norpoth’s fresh, imaginative arrangement of Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition gives the virtuosic Orpheus musicians a special moment to shine.
NOTE: Due to ongoing repairs in the Library's Coolidge Auditorium, events scheduled for that venue may need to be rescheduled for other locations. For the latest updates, you may register for the event in advance, return to this page, or subscribe to the Library's Upcoming Events email feed.
New Work, commissioned by the Library of Congress, the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra and the National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland
Violin Concerto in E minor, op.64
MODEST MUSSORGSKY / JANNINA NORPOTH
Pictures at an Exhibition
- Andre Kostelanetz Collection [digital collection]
- Andre Kostelanetz, Conductor [essay]
- Andre Kostelanetz, Commissioned Works [essay]
- Andre Kostelanetz Collection [finding aid]
- "The Andre Kostelanetz Sound" [blog]
- Felix Mendelssohn at the Library of Congress [digital collection]
- Bronislava Nijinska - Pictures at an Exhibition [ballet drawing]
- Seeing Music: Gnomus and Baba Yaga from Mussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition” [blog]
- Concert Program