Event | Exhibits and Tours Stephen A. Geppi Collection of Comics and Graphic Arts
Date and Location
When: Saturday, December 15, 2018
8:30 am - 4:30 pm EST
Where: Thomas Jefferson Building - Great Hall
10 1st Street SE, Washington, DC 20540
Request ADA accommodations five business days in advance at (202) 707-6362 or ADA@loc.gov.
The Library of Congress has a new display of select items from the Stephen A. Geppi Collection of Comics and Graphic Arts from Nov. 6, 2018, through Feb. 11, 2019
The Library of Congress announced in May that collector and entrepreneur Stephen A. Geppi donated to the nation’s library more than 3,000 items from his phenomenal and vast personal collection of comic books and popular art, including the original storyboards that document the creation of Mickey Mouse. This multimillion-dollar gift includes comic books, original art, photos, posters, newspapers, buttons, pins, badges and related materials.
Collection highlights include:
- Original storyboard for the creation of Mickey Mouse;
- Joe Simon’s concept drawing for the superhero Captain America, created in 1940 in reaction to WWII;
- Prototype for the first action figure G.I. Joe, developed during the Vietnam War in 1964;
- The American Comic Almanac, Vol. 1, No. 3 (1833);
- “Mickey Mouse, the Mail Pilot,” one of the first true Big Little Books (1933);
- Popeye Daily Dime Bank (1956);
- “Superman Krypto-Raygun” (1940);
- “Captain Marvel Club,” welcome letter and envelope written in code with code key.