Book/Printed Material Biblia Latina. Gutenberg Bible
About this Item
- Biblia Latina.
- Other Title
- Gutenberg Bible
- Created / Published
- [Mainz, Printer of the 42-line Bible (Johann Gutenberg) between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456]
-  Liber Genesis-Liber IV Esdrae.-- Liber Tobiae-Prophetia Ezechielis.-- Prophetia Danielis-Apocalypsis Beati Ioannis Apostoli.
- Subject Headings
- - Germany--Rhineland-Palatinate--Mainz
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Goff B-526
- - Hain 3031
- - GW 4201
- - Schwenke, P. Johannes Gutenbergs 42-zeilige Bibel, no. 12 (p. 10) and p. 23, 25, 41, 48
- - LC copy on vellum. Leaf [192a] presents numerous variants from the facsim. ed. of the Berlin copy (Leipzig, Insel-Verlag, 1913-14). Leaves -[32a], - and [486a] are of the second printing. Chapter headings on leaves [1a], [4a], [5a], [12a] and [129b] printed in red; other chapter headings and chapter numbering supplied by hand in red; initial-strokes supplied in red on leaves - and on a few other scattered leaves; headlines in alternating red and blue; initials in red or blue, some of the larger ones in red and blue, a few with ornaments extending to the margin. Signatures in ms., generally cut off, catchword on leaf [125b]. Bound in 3 v.: 16th cent. blind stamped white pigskin; one of the rolls used dated 1560. Formerly in the Benedictine Abbey of St. Blasius in the Black Forest (with its bookplate in each vol.), after 1809 in the Benedictine Abbey of St. Paul in Carinthia; acquired by LC through Otto H.F. Vollbehr in 1930.
- - Formerly classified: Incun 1454 .B5.
-  leaves (, wanting, and  blank) 42.5 cm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- BS75 1454
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- IIIF Presentation Manifest
- Manifest (JSON/LD)
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or any other restrictions in the documents in this collection. However, some of the content may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) and/or by the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Additionally, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by privacy and/or publicity rights. The determination of the status of an item ultimately rests with the person desiring to reproduce or use the item.
Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Rare Book and Special Collections Division
Availability of Reproductions
To inquire about copies of Rare Book and Special Collections Division items, contact the Photoduplication Service (telephone: 202-707-5640). Orders are accepted by mail and by fax.
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order.
For Further Information
If you have comments or additional questions, please contact us.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Biblia Latina. [Mainz, printer of the 42-line bible johann gutenberg between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456, 1454] Image. https://www.loc.gov/item/52002339/.
APA citation style:
(1454) Biblia Latina. [Mainz, printer of the 42-line bible johann gutenberg between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456] [Image] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/52002339/.
MLA citation style:
Biblia Latina. [Mainz, printer of the 42-line bible johann gutenberg between 1454 and 1455?, not after 1456, 1454] Image. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/52002339/>.
More Books/Printed Material like this
Book/Printed MaterialIncip[it] ep[is]t[o]la s[an]c[t]i iheronimi ad paulinu[m] p[re]sbiteru[m], de om[ni]b[us] diuine historie libris ...
Bible. Latin. Vulgate. 1462 Title from incipit, leaf 1. Imprint from colophon, leaf 6. Signatures: [1-8]¹⁰ [9-10]⁸ [11-23]¹⁰ [24-25]⁸, [26-38]¹⁰ ¹² [40-48]¹⁰ ⁶(5+1). Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, B-529 Hain, L. Repertorium bibliographicum, 3050* (variant)...
- Contributor: Fust, Johannes - Schöffer, Peter - Ellys, Richard - Bishop, Cortlandt F. (Cortlandt Field) - Lothian, William Schomberg Robert Kerr - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Otto Vollbehr Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1462
Book/Printed MaterialConstitutiones. Printed on vellum, in black and red. With the gloss of Giovanni d'Andrea. "Exiui de paradiso" (bull of Clemens V): leaves [49a]-[50b]. "Constituc[i]o execrabilis Johannis Pape XXII": leaf [51a-b]. "Const[tituti]o extrauaga[n]s ad...
- Contributor: Sunderland, Charles Spencer - Fust, Johannes - Clark, Charles W. (Charles Walker) - Schöffer, Peter - Giovanni D'andrea - Catholic Church. Pope ( : Benedict XII) - Catholic Church. Pope ( : Clement V) - Marlborough, George Spencer Churchill - Catholic Church. Pope ( : John XXII) - Brooke, Thomas - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1460
Book/Printed MaterialDecretales. Printed in black and red. With a commentary. Signatures: [a-c¹⁰ d⁶ e⁵ f-h¹⁰ i-k⁶ l-m¹⁰ n⁸ o¹¹ p-q¹⁰ r⁸ s⁷ t-x¹⁰ y⁶ z⁷ A-C¹⁰ D⁸ E⁶ F-G¹⁰ H⁹ I-K¹⁰ L¹²]. Library of...
- Contributor: Liechtensteinianis - Schöffer, Peter - Tempsford Hall Library - Catholic Church. Pope ( : Gregory IX) - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church
- Date: 1473
Book/Printed MaterialLiber sextus decretalium. Printed in black and red. With the gloss of Joannes Andreæ. On vellum. Initials and paragraph-marks supplied in red and blue alternately; number of book in red at head of each page;...
- Contributor: Fust, Johannes - Schöffer, Peter - Giovanni D'andrea - Bixby, William K. (William Keeney) - Catholic Church. Pope ( : Boniface VIII) - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church
- Date: 1473
Book/Printed MaterialLiber sextus Decretalium. Printed in red and black on vellum. With the gloss of Joannes Andreae. Includes Joannes Andreae's Super arboribus consanguinitatis et affinitatis (leaves [1a-4b]). Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, B-976 Copinger, W.A....
- Contributor: Sunderland, Charles Spencer - Fust, Johannes - Clark, Charles W. (Charles Walker) - Schöffer, Peter - Giovanni D'andrea - Hoe, Robert - Ives, Brayton - Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection (Library of Congress) - Catholic Church - Catholic Church. Pope ( : Boniface VIII)
- Date: 1465