Film, Video Never Forgotten, the Search for Israel's Lost Submarine Dakar
About this Item
- Never Forgotten, the Search for Israel's Lost Submarine Dakar
- On Jan. 25, 1968, the Dakar, Israel's just-commissioned submarine, disappeared without a trace in the eastern Mediterranean. Israel spent the next 31 years looking for the massive submarine and her crew of 69 officers and seamen. In 1996, the country invited a noted ocean explorer, David Jourdan, to investigate, and in 1999 Jourdan and his team solved the legendary mystery. Jourdan discussed "Never Forgotten," his newly released book about the quest to find the missing sub. "Never Forgotten" traces the Dakar from its origins in the British Navy in World War II through its sale to Israel and the fateful voyage across the Mediterranean. The book describes the search for and discovery of the submarine, and it also tells the story of the boat's crew and the impact the tragedy had on an entire nation.
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress. Science, Technology, and Business Division, sponsoring body
Created / Published
- Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 2009-06-08.
- - Biography, History
- - Education
- - Government, World Affairs
- - Science, Technology
- - Environment, Conservation
- - Technology, Industry
- - War, Military
- - Classification: Education.
- - Classification: History (General) and History of Europe.
- - Classification: Military Science.
- - Classification: Naval Science.
- - Classification: Science.
- - Classification: Technology.
- - David Jourdan.
- - Recorded on 2009-06-08.
- - Kids, Families.
- 1 online resource
Library of Congress Control Number
- online text
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Technology Library Of Congress. Science. Never Forgotten, the Search for Israel's Lost Submarine Dakar. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-08, 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688261/.
APA citation style:
Library Of Congress & Library Of Congress. Science, T. (2009) Never Forgotten, the Search for Israel's Lost Submarine Dakar. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-08. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2021688261/.
MLA citation style:
Library Of Congress, and Technology Library Of Congress. Science. Never Forgotten, the Search for Israel's Lost Submarine Dakar. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, -06-08, 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2021688261/>.