About this Item
- Atlas of historical county boundaries
- The Atlas is composed of data packaged by state or the collective United States. The state packages are in three formats (52 zipped GIS program files, 52 zipped KMZ files, and 52 zipped PDF files.) The state packages are available for 50 states, Washington DC, and the Dakota Territory. US Historical Counties (1629-2000) is packaged as 5 zipped GIS program files (including Alaska and Hawaii), 6 zipped KMZ files (3 excluding Alaska and Hawaii.) US Historical States & Territories (1783-2000) is packaged as 5 zipped GIS program files (including Alaska and Hawaii), 6 zipped KMZ files (3 excluding Alaska and Hawaii.)
- Contributor Names
- Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture, issuing body.
- Long, John Hamilton, editor.
- Created / Published
- [Chicago, Illinois] : The Newberry Library, Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture, 
- Subject Headings
- - United States--Administrative and political divisions--Maps
- - United States--Historical geography--Maps
- - Counties--United States--Maps
- Digital maps
- Vector data
- Data sets
- Geospatial data
- - Title from website
- - Downloaded by the Library of Congress on January 8, 2019.
- - "The Atlas is designed to be as comprehensive as possible, leaving no gaps in either space or time. The historical scope covers every day, starting in the early 1600s and extending through the end of the year 2000. Geographically, the range for each state includes all the territory within its bounds in 2000, regardless of what government created or altered a county there, plus any other territory that may have been within the state's jurisdiction at an earlier time." -- Scope.
- - "A project of the William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture at The Newberry Library in Chicago, the Atlas of Historical County Boundaries is a powerful historical research and reference tool in electronic form. The Atlas presents in maps and text complete data about the creation and all subsequent changes (dated to the day) in the size, shape, and location of every county in the fifty United States and the District of Columbia. It also includes non-county areas, unsuccessful authorizations for new counties, changes in county names and organization, and the temporary attachments of non-county areas and unorganized counties to fully functioning counties. The principal sources for these data are the most authoritative available: the session laws of the colonies, territories, and states that created and changed the counties."--What is the Atlas.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- s-Online Electronic Resource
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Rights Advisory
- Creative Commons CC0 "No Rights Reserved" license. DLC https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/ External
- Online Format
- compressed data
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to The Selected Datasets Collection for educational and research purposes. The Library has obtained permission for the use of many materials in the Collection, and presents additional materials for educational and research purposes in accordance with fair use under United States copyright law. Researchers should watch for modern documents that may be copyrighted (for example, published in the United States more than 95 years ago, or unpublished and the author died less than 70 years ago).
You are responsible for deciding whether your use of the items in this collection is legal. You are also responsible for securing any permissions needed to use the items. You will need written permission from the copyright owners of materials not in the public domain for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Some content may be protected under international law. You may also need permission from holders of other rights, such as publicity and/or privacy rights.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Digital Collections Management and Services Division
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Dr. William M. Scholl Center For American History And Culture, Issuing Body. Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. editeds by Long, John Hamiltonitor [Chicago, Illinois: The Newberry Library, Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture, 2012] Software, E-Resource. https://www.loc.gov/item/2018487899/.
APA citation style:
Dr. William M. Scholl Center For American History And Culture, I. B., Long, J. H., ed. (2012) Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. [Chicago, Illinois: The Newberry Library, Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture] [Software, E-Resource] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/2018487899/.
MLA citation style:
Dr. William M. Scholl Center For American History And Culture, Issuing Body. Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. ed by Long, John Hamiltonitor [Chicago, Illinois: The Newberry Library, Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture, 2012] Software, E-Resource. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/2018487899/>.
More Collections like this
CollectionNational Enquirer Index and Database Files, 1977- The National Enquirer Index and Database Files were created by Mike Handy and other retired Library of Congress staff and volunteers to index the microfilm holdings of National Enquirer at the Library...
- Contributor: Handy, Mike
- Date: 1977
CollectionDatasets from Branch Rickey Papers
Branch Rickey : The data available here is from Branch Rickey scouting reports, part of legendary baseball scout Rickey's Baseball Files available in his archival papers. In a career spanning nearly 60 years, Rickey was...
- Contributor: By the People (Program)
- Date: 2019
CollectionRodney Fort's Sports Business Data Pages.
Rodney Fort's Sports Business Data | RodsSportsBusinessData As of February 15, 2019, the dataset is organized into the following categories: North American Pro Leagues; World Football & MLS; NCAA College; and a General Data category, which includes Minor League...
- Contributor: Fort, Rodney D.
- Date: 2012
CollectionSimple English Wikipedia.
Simplewiki The dataset is composed of the content of Simple Wikipedia including articles and revision history in XML. The XML dumps are in a Export format and compressed in bzip2 and .7z formats;...
- Contributor: Wikimedia Foundation
- Date: 2003
CollectionEnron email dataset. "This dataset was collected and prepared by the CALO Project (A Cognitive Assistant that Learns and Organizes). It contains data from about 150 users, mostly senior management of Enron, organized into folders....
- Contributor: Enron Corp - United States. Federal Energy Regulatory Commission - Cohen, William W.
- Date: 2015