Film, Video Emigrants [i.e. immigrants] landing at Ellis Island Immigrants landing at Ellis Island / Emigrants landing at Ellis Island
digital viewing copy
About this Item
- Emigrants [i.e. immigrants] landing at Ellis Island
- Immigrants landing at Ellis Island
- Emigrants landing at Ellis Island
- "Shows a large open barge loaded with people of every nationality, who have just arrived from Europe, disembarking at Ellis Island, N.Y. A most interesting and typical scene. Length 140 feet"-Edison films catalog.
- The film opens with a view of the steam ferryboat "William Myers," laden with passengers, approaching a dock at the Ellis Island Immigration Station. The vessel is docked, the gangway is placed, and the immigrant passengers are seen coming up the gangway and onto the dock, where they cross in front of the camera.
- Abadie, Alfred C. (Alfred Camille), 1878-1950, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1903.
- - Ellis Island Immigration Station (N.Y. and N.J.)
- - Immigrants--New York (State)--New York
- - Ports of entry--New York (State)--New York
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - H33775 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 24July1903; H33775.
- - Duration: 2:20 at 15 fps.
- - Camera, Alfred C. Abadie.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1591) was changed when paper positive was rehoused.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Photographed July 9, 1903.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Source used: Niver's Early motion pictures, p. 89.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 5354 to FZA 2309.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (63 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (168 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (63 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (168 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 150 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4605 (viewing print)
- FEB 9433 (viewing print)
- FRA 2839 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2309 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0853A (paper pos)
- Box 5532A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- The Life of a City: Early Films of New York, 1898 to 1906 (54)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (432)
- National Screening Room (573)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,017)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,496,907)
- Abadie, Alfred C. (Alfred Camille)
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Abadie, Alfred C. , Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Emigrants i.e. immigrants landing at Ellis Island. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694367/.
APA citation style:
Abadie, A. C., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Emigrants i.e. immigrants landing at Ellis Island. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694367/.
MLA citation style:
Abadie, Alfred C. , Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Emigrants i.e. immigrants landing at Ellis Island. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694367/>.