Film, Video May Irwin kiss Kiss / Kiss scene / Picture of a kiss / John C. Rice-May Irwin kiss
About this Item
- May Irwin kiss
- Other Title
- Kiss scene
- Picture of a kiss
- John C. Rice-May Irwin kiss
- From Maguire & Baucus catalogue: An osculatory performance by May Irwin and John Rice. The most popular subject ever shown.
- From Edison films catalog: By May Irwin and John Rice. They get ready to kiss, begin to kiss, and kiss and kiss and kiss in a way that brings down the house every time. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- Heise, William, camera.
- Irwin, May, 1862-1938, cast.
- Rice, John C., cast.
- McNally, John J., 1853 or 1854-1931.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1896.
- Subject Headings
- - Kissing
- Comedy films
- Novelty films
- Short films
- Silent films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - May Irwin (Beatrice Byke), John C. Rice (Billy Bilke).
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:18 at 30 fps.
- - Scene from the New York stage comedy, The widow Jones, by John J. McNally, in which Irwin and Rice starred. According to Edison film historian Charles Musser, the actors staged their kiss for the camera at the request of the New York World newspaper, and the resulting film was the most popular Edison Vitascope film in 1896.
- - Filmed April 1896, in Edison's Black Maria studio in West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - This film was selected for the National Film Registry.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 197-99; Maguire & Baucus. Edison and international photographic films catalogue, April 1897, p. 11 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 70 [MI]; Eagan, D. America's film legacy, p. 4-5.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 8087 to FYA 0597.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 34 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FYA 0597 (viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- From Maguire & Baucus catalogue: An osculatory performance by May Irwin and John Rice. The most popular subject ever shown. From Edison films catalog: By May Irwin and John Rice. They get ready to kiss, begin to kiss, and kiss and kiss and kiss in a way that brings down the house every time. 50 feet. $7.50.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Selections from the National Film Registry (67)
- National Screening Room (91)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (434)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,893)
- American Memory (494,327)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (923,384)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, May Irwin, John C Rice, John J McNally, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Hendricks. May Irwin kiss. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1896. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694131/.
APA citation style:
Heise, W., Irwin, M., Rice, J. C., McNally, J. J., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Hendricks. (1896) May Irwin kiss. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694131/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, et al. May Irwin kiss. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1896. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694131/>.