FRIDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2021
Conversation With the Artist
The Leif Ove Andsnes concert video is no longer available.
Piano Sonata no. 8 in C minor, op. 13, “Pathétique”
Selections from Lyric Pieces, op. 54
1. Gjætergut (Shepherd’s Boy)
2. Gangar (Norwegian March)
3. Troldtog (March of the Trolls)
Selections from Poetic Tone Pictures, op. 85
1. Noční cestou (Night Journey)
2. Žertem (Joking)
3. Na starém hradě (At the Old Castle)
4. Jarní (Spring)
8. Rej skřítků (Goblins’ Dance)
9. Serenáda (Serenade)
13. Na Svaté hoře (At the Holy Mountain)
“…a pianist of magisterial elegance, power, and insight” (The New York Times)
The extraordinary Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes brings his illuminating artistic vision to our series for an intimate recital. Taking a break from his most recent Mozart collaboration with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, Andsnes brings together the music of Beethoven—the “Pathétique” sonata—and a selection of miniatures by Grieg and Dvořák. Pianists around the world are no strangers to Grieg’s Lyric Pieces, but the opportunity to hear pieces from Dvořák’s Poetic Tone Pictures by a pianist of Andsnes’ stature is rare and sure to bring attention to this sometimes-overlooked corner of the repertoire.
Also watch on ...
Explore Related Collections and Resources
- Beethoven: A Guide to Primary and Secondary Resources at the Library of Congress (research guide)
- American Folklife Center Collections: Norway (research guide)
- Published sheet music by Edvard Grieg (online resource)
- Dvorak in the New World (video lecture)
Be sure to check this page for additional content, including conversations with the artists, program notes, links to Library resources and more!