THURSDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2022 at 12:00 PM (ET)
IN-PERSON CONCERT, COOLIDGE AUDITORIUM
Please register here for this free event.
Seating will be by general admission. You will receive a confirmation of your registration by email, with information about the Library of Congress Health and Safety Protocols.
Benjamin Alard, clavichord
The versatile keyboardist Benjamin Alard will put his flexibility on display in a rare encounter with Wanda Landowska’s Challis clavichord. This intimate performance will include works that take advantage of the clavichord’s special qualities of touch and sound. Although a quieter instrument than the harpsichord, the clavichord allows the performer to continue to influence the sound after striking a key, offering a universe of possibilities to the sensitive keyboardist. Alard’s program will offer the chance to hear a varied program of dramatic music on a seldom heard instrument; a special gift to us from this compelling artist.
Alard will return to the stage on Friday, Dec. 2 for a performance of J.S. Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier on harpsichord.
There will be no pre-concert talk for this event.
HEINRICH SCHEIDEMANN (attr.)
Lachrymae Pavan after John Dowland
JOHAN JAKOB FROBERGER
Toccata II in D minor
JOHANN CASPAR FERDINAND FISCHER
Prelude VIII and Chaconne in G major
Praeludium in G minor, BuxWV 163
Sonata in D minor, BWV 964
12 Variations über die Folies d’Espagne, H.263
Explore Related Collections and Resources
- Portrait of Johann Sebastian Bach by Elias Gottlob Haussmann (image reproduction)
- J.S. Bach, French Suites (manuscript)
- Verzeichniss des musikalischen nachlasses des verstorbenen capellmeisters (Catalog compiled by C.P.E. Bach of works written by Bach Family of composers)
- Letter from C.P.E. Bach to Breitkopf, Dec. 27, 1783 (holograph letter)
- Wanda Landowska and Denise Restout Papers (finding aid)
- New Findings in the Wanda Landowska and Denise Restout Papers (webcast)