Contact: John Sayers, Public Affairs (202) 707-9216
Contact: Kathy McGuigan, Educational Outreach (202) 707-8545
May 16, 2011 (REVISED August 2, 2011)
Local Educators Selected to Participate in National Educational Program
Local educators from around the country have been selected from a pool of hundreds of applicants to participate in the 2011 Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Summer Teacher Institutes.
Each year, the Library of Congress provides the opportunity for a carefully chosen group of K-12 educators to attend one of its seven Teacher Institutes in Washington, D.C. During the five-day program, participants work with Library education specialists and subject matter experts to learn effective practices for using primary sources in the classroom, while exploring some of the millions of digitized historical artifacts and documents available on the Library’s website.
Educators attending the Teacher Institutes develop primary-source based teaching strategies that they can take back to their school districts, apply in the classroom, and pass along to colleagues. Teaching with primary sources is a powerful way to help students ask engaged, probing questions, develop critical thinking skills, and construct knowledge.
Applicants to the Summer Teacher Institutes reflect the diversity of the world of K-12 education. Participants in a Teacher Institute session typically include school library media specialists and school administrators in addition to classroom teachers. Participants come from many different states, representing large metropolitan school districts and smaller, rural school districts. The expertise provided by the Library of Congress during the Summer Teacher Institutes can benefit every level of K-12 education.
The Library of Congress, the nation’s oldest federal cultural institution, is the world’s preeminent reservoir of knowledge, providing unparalleled integrated resources to Congress and the American people. The Library serves the public, scholars, Members of Congress and their staff—all of whom seek information, understanding and inspiration. Many of the Library’s rich resources can be accessed through its website at www.loc.gov and via interactive exhibitions on a personalized website at myLOC.gov.
Participants in the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources Summer Teacher Institutes (May–August 2011)
- Victoria Abens, Academy of Notre Dame, Kennett Square, Penna.
- Melanie Aultman, Waldo Community School, Waldo, Fla.
- Oluremi Awolana, Intown Academy, Atlanta, Ga.
- Debbie Ayers, Flint Hill School, Oakton, Va.
- Sherry Ball, Knox County Schools, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Noreen Baker, Bishop Sullivan Catholic High School, Virginia Beach, Va.
- Lyn Ballam, North Pole Middle School, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Jessica Barber, Nottingham Elementary, Arlington, Va.
- Melinda Jeffers Billings, Ryan Elementary School, Baton Rouge, La.
- Stacey Billingsley, South River High School, Edgewater, Md.
- Neal Biskar, Brandeis Hillel Day School, San Francisco, Calif.
- Lisa Brown Buchanan, UNC Greensboro, Burlington, N.C.
- Holli Buchter, St. Vrain Valley School District, Longmont, Colo.
- Emma Burkhart, Springside School, Philadelphia
- Deborah Byrne, Glendaal Elementary School, Scotia, N.Y.
- Joshua Carey, Pacetti Bay, St. Augustine, Fla.
- Sangeetha Carmona, Shandin Hills Middle School, San Bernardino, Calif.
- Rhonda Carpenter, Springville K-8 School, Portland, Ore.
- Virginia Case, Dr. Mary Mcleod Bethune Elementary, Riviera Beach, Fla.
- Virginia Castleberry, Homestead Middle School, Homestead, Fla.
- Rachel Clark, Island City Academy, Eaton Rapids, Mich.
- Maryjane Cochrane, Paul VI Catholic High School, Fairfax, Va.
- Rosemary Colson, St. Marys Area High School, St. Marys, Pa.
- Anne Corsetti, Central School, Larchmont, N.Y.
- Matt Cummings, Bridgeway Island K-8 Elementary, West Sacramento, Calif.
- Anne Detwiler, Keys School, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Debra Duffe, Springville K-8 School, Portland, Ore.
- Christine Ferrin, Deerfield Elementary, Cedar Hills, Utah
- Peter Findler, Washington Latin Public Charter School, Washington, D.C.
- Mary Ellen Fink, St. Christopher School, Rocky River, Ohio
- Beverly Fisher, Honeoye Central School, Honeoye, N.Y.
- Marina Forbes, New England Language Center, Rochester, N.H.
- Mary Gish, Lake Hills Elementary School, Michigan City, Ind.
- Jennifer Gliebe, Laura J. Woodward Elementary, Delaware, Ohio
- Holly Gougeon, Brooks County Middle School, Quitman, Ga.
- Marjorie Gray, Mark Twain Middle School, Alexandria, Va.
- Brenna Greer, Robertsville Elementary School, Morganville, N.J.
- Juanita Gresh, Webster Elementary School, Gary, Ind.
- Catherine Gustafson, Claremont Immersion School, Arlington, Va.
- Patricia Hadley, Campolindo High School, Moraga, Calif.
- Peter Hanrahan, Boght Hills Elementary School, Latham, N.Y.
- Marguerite Hennessey, Bedford Middle School, Westport, Ct.
- Kelli Higgins, Columbia Academy, Columbia, Md.
- Tovelah Hirsch, Orchard Villa Elementary School, Miami, Fla.
- Ken Hoin, Bassick High School, Bridgeport, Ct.
- Leslie Howard, Washington Irving Middle School, Springfield, Va.
- Mary Imhof, Barnette Magnet School, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Ciji Jackson, Richlands Christian Academy, Richlands, Va.
- Sandra Jackson, Carrie E. Gould Elementary, Savannah, Ga.
- Chris Jacobs, Washington-Lee High School, Arlington, Va.
- Theresa Johnson-Blount, St. Helena Central Elementary School, Greensburg, La.
- Jerry Jones, Kettering West Wing, Detroit, Mich.
- Adrienne Karyadi, Santa Monica High School, Santa Monica, Calif.
- Casey Kelly, Port Susan Middle School, Stanwood, Wash.
- Teresa Keyes, Bloomfield Middle/High School, Bloomfield, N.Y.
- Esther Kligman-Frey, Marin County Office of Education, San Rafael, Calif.
- Ronan Kristin, James Madison High School, Vienna, Va.
- Jennifer Langam, Oakridge Elementary, Arlington, Va.
- Caitlynn Langford, Carvers Bay Middle School, Hemingway, S.C.
- Jordan Leigh, A.R. Rucker Middle School, Lancaster, S.C.
- Anne Lemieux, Lugoff-Elgin Middle School, Lugoff, S.C.
- Suzanne Ley, Perry High School, Perry, Ga.
- Kristin Locke, Sashabaw Middle School, Clarkston, Mich.
- Nicole Lukkariner, Bradwell Institute, Hinesville, Ga.
- Sarah Manuel, Springville K-8 School, Portland, Ore.
- Leah Markey, Heritage High School, Saginaw, Mich.
- Vicky Masson, Sheridan School, Washington, D.C.
- Bethany Martin, The Dwight School, New York, N.Y.
- Krista McKim, Roberto Clemente Middle School, Germantown, Md.
- Irene McLendon, Poplarville Middle School, Poplarville, Miss.
- K.C. McManus, Lee Transitional High School, Springfield, Va.
- Pamela Middlemas, Grand Junction High School, Grand Junction, Colo.
- Sarah Miller, James Morris School, Morris, Conn.
- Susan Mongold, Canton Country Day School, Canton, Ohio
- Paulette Moon, Atha Road Elementary School, Monroe, Ga.
- Dingani Mthethwa, Jack Jouett Middle School, Charlottesville, Va.
- Lisa Muller, Castle High School, Newburgh, Ind.
- Rachel Murphy, Kearns High School, Kearns, Utah
- Shobha Narayanasundaram, Eleanor Roosevelt High School, Greenbelt, Md.
- Lou Ann Nelson, Horizon High School, Thornton, Colo.
- Beverly Nichols, Silver Spring, Md.
- Katherine Nims, Trinity School, Atlanta, Ga.
- Melissa Nurrenbrock, Genesis School, New Port Richey, Fla.
- Janie O'Connor, Arundel High School, Gambrills, Md.
- Lolita Osborne, Intown Academy, Atlanta, Ga.
- Penny Patrick, Springville K-8 School, Portland, Ore.
- Cynthia Pawlowski, Springville K-8 School, Portland, Ore.
- Jennifer Quier, Nashville Public Library, Nashville, Tenn.
- Pamela Quinn, Albany Academy for Girls, Albany, N.Y.
- Leatha Recio, Bishop Ford Central Catholic High School, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Neva Reece, North Star Elementary School, Anchorage, Alaska
- Michelle Rivera, Georgia Southern University College of Education, Statesboro, Ga.
- Beth Rockwell, Walt Whitman High School, Bethesda, Md.
- Sandy Rodeheaver, Garrett County Public Schools, Oakland, Md.
- Stefanie Rosenberg-Wager, Des Moines Public Schools, Des Moines, Iowa
- Marsha Saunders, Sonoraville Elementary School, Calhoun, Ga.
- Lois Scarangella, State College Area High School, State College, Pa.
- Carol Schaedel, Claremont Immersion School, Arlington, Va.
- Dana Schneider, Sligo Middle School, Chevy Chase, Md.
- Nancy Schultz-Speck, Garden City High School, Garden City, Mich.
- Michael Seagle, Lyman Elementary School, Lyman, S.C.
- Jerry Seiler, St. Peter School, Merchantville, N.J.
- Alison Shepard, Lowell High School, San Francisco
- Molly Sherman, Barnette Magnet School, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Brenda Shufelt, P.S. 30 Hernandez/Hughes Learning Academy, New York, N.Y.
- Katrina Shultz, Garrisonville Elementary, Stafford, Va.
- Linda Simon, Walt Whitman High School, Bethesda, Md.
- Susan Smith, Sol C. Johnson High School, Savannah, Ga.
- Mary Spence, Elkton High School, Elkton, Md.
- Teresa St. Angelo, John L. Dawes Early Learning Center, Englishtown, N.J.
- Beverly Sylvester, Lecanto High School, Lecanto, Fla.
- Nancy Thompson, Schoharie Central School, Schoharie, N.Y.
- Jacqueline Vrdoljak, St. Mel School, Fair Oaks, Calif.
- Crystal Walker, Alexander II Math Science Magnet School, Macon, Ga.
- Amy Warren, Lakeland High School, Suffolk, Va.
- Paige Whelan, Abingdon Elementary School, Arlington, Va.
- Traci Williams, Henry County Middle School, McDonough, Ga.
- Valerie April Williams, Stratford Landing Elementary School, Alexandria, Va.
- Joseph Winkler, Worland Middle School, Worland, Wyo.
- Stephanie Wohl, Alexander II Math Science Magnet School, Macon, Ga.
- Claudia Zurbrick, Morris Brandon Elementary School, Atlanta, Ga.
# # #