Library of Congress
Exhibitions and Presentations
Multimedia resources from the Library of Congress that support instruction about elections. These resources include expert presentations, exhibitions, bibliographies, Webcasts, and other online materials.
- American Memory Timeline: The Presidential Election of 1960 (Presentation) View images and documents related to this historic election.
- American Memory Timeline: Women's Suffrage in the Progressive Era (Presentation) Examine documents related to the topic of voting rights for women.
- First Ladies of the United States: Selected Images From the Collections of the Library of Congress (Prints and Photographs) Links to images selected from the Prints and Photographs collections.
- Guide to the Law Online: Election Law (Internet Resources) This annotated guide includes selected links to useful and reliable sites for legal information regarding election law.
- Herblock's History: Political Cartoons From the Crash to the Millenium (Exhibition) The Presidents section of this exhibition features caricatures of American presidents from Herbert Hoover to Bill Clinton.
- Humor's Edge: Cartoons by Anne Telnaes (Exhibition) Cartoons in the Pulitzer Prize Winning Cartoons section of this exhibit relate to the 2000 election.
- LC Web Archives: United States Election 2000 Web Archive (Web Archive) This selective collection of nearly 800 sites archived daily between August 1, 2000 and January 21, 2001, covers the United States national election period.
- LC Web Archives: United States Election 2002 Web Archive (Web Archive) This selective collection of nearly 4,000 sites archived between July 1, 2002 and November 30, 2002 covers 2002 elections.
- Living Room Candidate: Presidential Campaign Commercials 1952-2004 (Internet Resource) This online exhibition features more than 250 television commercials from election years 1952-2004.
- Oliphant's Anthem: Presidential Campaigns (Exhibition) This online exhibition includes a variety of Pat Oliphant's editorial cartoons related to presidential campaigns.
- Popular Graphic Arts: Presidential Elections (Prints and Photographs) View a selection of 19th and early 20th century election related broadsides and prints.
- Presidential Campaigns (Prints and Photographs) View a selection of images depicting presidential campaigns from the online version of Pictorial Americana.
- Presidential Elections and the Electoral College: the Proceedings of the Electoral Commission of 1877 (Presentation) This presentation highlights volume 5, part 4 of the Congressional Record which began publication in 1873
- Presidents of the United States: Selected Images From the Collections of the Library of Congress (Prints and Photographs) Quick links to photographs of United States presidents.
- Primary Source Investigation (Document) Use this primary source investigation strategy as a way for students to examine documents and think critically about their meaning. Themes include Civil War, reform movements, Harlem Renaissance and presidential campaigns.
- Research Guide to Election Resources (Library of Congress Bibliography) Prepared by the Law Library of Congress, this extensive guide includes both print and web resources related to elections.
- Thomas (Legislative Resource) Thomas provides links to legislative information. Search bill text using the term "elections" to locate election related legislation.
- Time Line of Presidents and First Ladies (Presentation) Each president and first lady is listed chronologically according to the president's term(s) of office and links to images of all presidents and most first ladies from 1789 through 2001.
- Voting and Registration (Internet Resources) This online database contains information on reported voting and registration by various demographic and socioeconomic characteristics for the United States.