Every inauguration is a historic event.
Beginning with George Washington, each U.S. president has brought a unique personal history to the nation’s highest office, a different set of priorities, and an inimitable character. In turn, each has put a distinctive stamp on the presidency, and on the nation itself.
Taking a close look at the moments in which these leaders first took office can provide rich opportunities to investigate the history of the United States as it has changed over the centuries. It can also provide unique insights into these remarkable individuals as they first stepped into history.
Related Inauguration Resources
- “I Do Solemnly Swear...” - American Memory
- Presidential Inaugurations - Collection Connections
- Presidential Inaugurations: Historical Insights
- Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies
- Inaugural Proceedings, Congressional Record - THOMAS