This project is meant to be an introduction to historical map analysis, but assumes students are familiar with the parts of a map: compass, scale, title, orientation, etc. Before leading students through the exploration process, teachers should make themselves familiar with the background of this map by reading Recognizing and Naming a New Continent and Teacher Notes: Waldseemüller’s Map, World 1507.
The following materials will be used in this lesson:
- Primary Source Analysis Tool (PDF, 26 KB)
- Teacher's Guide to Analyzing Maps (PDF, 55 KB)
- Waldseemüller’s Map, World 1507 (printed in 12 sections) Part 1 (PDF, 46.21 MB) | Part 2 (PDF, 45.17 MB)
- Teacher Notes: Waldseemüller’s Map, World 1507 (PDF, 39 KB)
- Recognizing and Naming a New Continent (PDF, 86 KB)