This lesson is intended to be an introduction to primary source analysis, and is best used with students who have some understanding of Roman/Greek mythology including the goddess Minerva, Victory (Nike), and Medusa.
The following materials will be used during this lesson:
- Minerva Mosaic, 6-Page Tiled Image (PDF, 9.18 MB) (6 pages – print enough copies for each student to have one page)
- Primary Source Analysis Tool (PDF, 79 KB)
- Tape/magnets (for posting printouts on the wall)
Before leading students through the observations, teachers should make themselves familiar with the following resources:
- Minerva Teacher Guide (PDF, 284 KB)
- Mosaic of Minerva by Elihu Vedder (optional, for online display)