Students will investigate a series of maps depicting a voyage by Sir Francis Drake which involved attacks on the Spanish settlements off the coast of Africa (Santiago), Caribbean (Santo Domingo), South America (Cartagena), and North America (St. Augustine). Students will then examine a map of the entire voyage. Students will look closely at the details of each of these depictions and draw conclusions about the individual events as well as the entire voyage.
Students will be able to:
- Analyze maps as primary sources;
- Analyze individual events of the voyage in specific detail;
- Create an outline of events in each town;
- Examine evidence of bias and point of view in the map collection.
Recommended Grade Level
- Maps & Geography
- Three Worlds Meet, Beginnings to 1620