The Nineteenth Century in Print: Periodicals is comprised of books and periodicals published in the United States primarily during the second half of the nineteenth century. The materials selected provide a social history of the century, illuminating the subject areas of education, psychology, American history, sociology, religion, and science and technology. The collection also includes volumes of American poetry.
In a hurry? Save or print as a single file.
These online presentations provide context and additional information about this collection.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection although they may not be all-encompassing.
- Expansion and Reform, 1801-1861
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
- Development of the Industrial United States, 1876-1915
Related Collections and Exhibits
- African American Perspectives, 1818-1920
- American Landscape and Architectural Design, 1850-1920
- America's First Look into the Camera: Daguerreotypes, 1839-1864
- California As I Saw It: First Person Narratives, 1849-1900
- A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation, 1774-1873
- Civil War Photographs, 1861-1865
- Inventing Entertainment: The Edison Companies
- Music for the Nation, 1870-1885
- Nineteenth-Century Song Sheets
- Pioneering the Upper Midwest, ca. 1820-1910
- Walt Whitman Notebooks, 1847-1860s
Recommended additional sources of information.
Specific guidance for searching this collection.
To find items in this collection, search by Keyword or broswe by Subject Index, Author Index, or Title Index. One may Search the collection's periodicals, perform an Advanced Search, or Browse its contents.
For help with general search strategies, see Finding Items in American Memory.