The 156 portraits of presidents and first ladies selected by the Prints and Photographs Division in Chronological List of Presidents, First Ladies, and Vice Presidents of the United States - Selected Images From the Collections of the Library of Congress include both formal and informal pictures. Popular subjects, such as images of inaugurations and the White House, are included, as are perennial favorites such as Abraham Lincoln with Sojourner Truth, Calvin Coolidge at a baseball game, and Dwight D. Eisenhower with American paratroopers in England.
In a hurry? Save or print as a single file.
These online presentations provide context and additional information about this collection.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection although they may not be all-encompassing.
- The American Revolution, 1763-1783
- The New Nation, 1780-1815
- Expansion and Reform, 1801-1861
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
- Development of the Industrial United States, 1876-1915
- Emergence of Modern America, 1890-1930
- The Great Depression and World War II, 1929-1945
- Postwar United States, 1945-early 1970s
- Contemporary United States, 1968-present
Related Collections and Exhibits
- American Leaders Speak, 1918-1920
- American Treasures of the Library of Congress
- A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation, 1774-1873
- Civil War Photographs, 1861-1865
- Continental Congress and Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789
- Declaring Independence: Drafting the Documents
- Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920
- The George Washington Papers, 1741-1799
- The Gettysburg Address
- Last Days of a President: McKinley and the Pan-American Exposition, 1901
- Revelations from the Russian Archives
- The Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures
- Temple of Liberty: Building the Capitol for a New Nation
- Words and Deeds in American History
Recommended additional sources of information.
Specific guidance for searching this collection.
For help with general search strategies, see Finding Items in American Memory.