Mapping the National Parks, a subset of Maps, contains approximately 200 maps dating from the 17th century to the present. This collection documents the history, culture, and geological formations of areas that eventually became United States National Parks. The collection is particularly strong in early maps of the Acadia, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky Mountains, and Yellowstone National parks.
In a hurry? Save or print these Collection Connections as a single file.
These online exhibits provide context and additional information about this collection.
- Maps of Acadia National Park
- Maps of Grand Canyon National Park
- Maps of Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Yellowstone, the First National Park
For more ideas in exploring this collection, see the Collection Connection for Map Collections: 1500-2004.
These historical era(s) are best represented in the collection although they may not be all-encompassing.
- Colonial Settlement, 1492-1763
- The American Revolution, 1763-1783
- The New Nation, 1780-1815
- Expansion and Reform, 1801-1861
- The Civil War and Reconstruction, 1850-1877
- Development of the Industrial United States, 1876-1915
- Emergence of Modern America, 1890-1930
- The Great Depression and World War II, 1929-1945
- Postwar United States, 1945-early 1970s
Related Collections and Exhibits
- American Environmental Photographs, 1891-1936
- American Landscape and Architectural Design, 1850-1920
- Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscapes Survey
- California as I Saw It: First Person Narratives, 1849-1900
- Evolution of the Conservation Movement, 1850-1920
- Panoramic Photographs
- Detroit Publishing Company
Recommended additional sources of information.
- A Brief History of Mapping the National Parks
- Documentary Chronology of Selected Events in the Development of the American Conservation Movement, 1847-1920
Specific guidance for searching this collection
Search for National Park maps using the keyword search, keeping the selection set on "Search National Park Maps ONLY". (Otherwise, you will search all the map collections.)
For help with search words, go to the World's Transportation Commission Subject Index.
For help with general search strategies, see Finding Items in American Memory.