PREMIS Version 2.2 now available
May 16, 2012
The PREMIS Editorial Committee is pleased to announce the availability of the PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata version 2.2. Changes in this version are a result of requests to amplify rights information and includes the following changes:
- Rights entity: changes to Data Dictionary and schema:
- Addition of copyrightDocumentationIdentifier, licenseDocumentationIdentifier and statuteDocumentationIdentifier (with type, value and role) to allow for linking to documentation supporting rights information for copyright, license or statute.
Note that licenseIdentifier was in version 2.1 with the same purpose; it remains in this version to be backwards compatible, but use of licenseDocumentionIdentifier is preferred. The documentation identifiers all have a role to specify the purpose of the documentation and to distinguish it in cases where there are more than one.
- Addition of otherRightsInformation to allow for rights statements that have a different basis than copyright, license or statute, e.g. institutional policy.
It has the following subunits: otherRightsDocumentationIdentifier, otherRIghtsBasis, otherRightsApplicableDates and otherRightsNote
- Addition of applicable dates to copyrightInformation, licenseInformation and statuteInformation
- Addition of termOfRestriction to allow expressing restrictions, e.g. embargos. The previous version only had termOfGrant.
- Miscellaneous schema only changes include:
- Country code definition added to recommend use of a standard country code for copyrightJurisdiction and statuteJurisdiction
- Addition of the pattern "OPEN" to be used for dates in the list of patterns allowed by EDTF (Extended Date Time Format)