PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata (version 2.1): Changes from previous version 2.0
This document records changes
that were made in version 2.1 of the PREMIS Data Dictionary for Preservation Metadata (PDF:1.23MB /226pp.) and PREMIS schemas.
[Note: To view PDF documents, a free viewer is available for download from Adobe Acrobat.]
The following are mistakes or omissions that are corrected in this version.
- Add linking semantic units from Agent Entity to Events and Rights:
- linkingEventIdentifier (linkingEventIdentifierType and linkingEventIdentifierValue)
- linkingRightsStatementIdentifier (linkingRightsStatementIdentifierType and linkingRightsStatementIdentifierValue)
- Clarify that the linking semantic units are mandatory in the sense that a repository needs to know the information, but are defined as optional because PREMIS does not specify in which direction the linkage should be.
- Correct the "Rationale" for objectCharacteristicsExtension to say "There may be a need to extend PREMIS defined units." Replacing is not allowed.
- Make storage optional, since it is not useful for exchange (corrected in schema)
- Add "Not applicable" for representation under 220.127.116.11 signatureValidationRules
- Add "Not applicable for representation under 1.9.2 signatureInformationExtension
- Provide common definitions for linkingAgentIdentifier under event and rightsStatement:
- Make linkingAgentRole optional and repeatable for rightsStatement instead of mandatory and not repeatable
- Add attributes LinkAgentXmlID and xlink:simpleLink for rightsStatement
- Provide common definitions for linkingObjectIdentifier under event and rightsStatement:
- Add linkingObjectRole (optional, repeatable) to rightsStatement
- Add attributes LinkObjectXmlID and xlink:simpleLink for rightsStatement
- Correct repeatability of format in schema (now is maxOccurs=1, should be maxOccurs="unbounded")
- Correct Usage notes for 1.8.1 environmentCharacteristic from "recommended = an environment preferred for optional rendering" to: "recommended = an environment preferred for optimal rendering"
Data Dictionary and/or Schema changes
The following details changes that were approved by the PREMIS Editorial Committee and incorporated into version 2.1
- The following new elements are added to the Agent Entity
- Define additional elements and attributes for all extension elements to create a structure similar to that used with METS extension schemas (e.g. add element to indicate whether the metadata is a reference or wrapped within the metadata section; add indication of metadata type, etc.).
- All extension elements are made repeatable