What's NEW on the Science Reference Service Web
- "How to Put Your Brain on the Internet: Lessons from a Cyborg." - Lecture and book signing by science writer Michael Chorost, author of World Wide Mind: The Coming Integration of Humanity, Machines, and the Internet.
- By Endurance We Conquer:
Ernest Shackleton and the Imperial
Trans-Antarctic Centenary Expedition 2014 - presented by Joanne Davies, FRGS, expedition leader, and other expedition members who discuss the history of the 1914 expedition and their planned centenary expedition.
- "Looking Homeward Toward Earth: The Power of Perspective" presented by Waleed Abdalati, PhD., NASA.
- "Human Migration, Malaria, and Modernization in the Pacific" by Professor Koji Lum, SUNY Binghamton.
Sponsored by the Science, Technology and Business Division and Library of Congress Asian American Association.
- My Winter in Greenland
and Summer in Antarctica, presented by Lora Koenig, PhD, of NASA's Cryospheric Sciences Laboratory speaks about doing field research for months at a time on the ice in challenging darkness, frigid temperatures and high winds.
- Beyond Hubble: A New Era of Astronomy with the James Webb Space Telescope, presented by Dr. Amber Straughn.
- Man, Food, and Fire: The Evolution of Barbecue - presented by Steven Raichlen, who has won several James Beard Awards for his books on barbeque.
- Mapping Water Use from Space - Martha Anderson, PhD., talks about using images from the Landsat satellite program to monitor water use and drought on U.S. farms. It is used to measure evapotranspiration, the total amount of water used in the process of growing crops.
- A Rare Astronomical Event: Transit of Venus - A Webcast of a presentation by Sten Odenwald, PhD., NASA.
- American Anthrax - Webcast of a book talk presented by Jeanne Guillemin, Senior Advisor, Security Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
- NASA's Desert Rats (Desert Research and Technology Studies) - A presentation by Jacob Bleacher, PhD.
Science Reference Services
- Business Reference