Finding Aids and Guides
A finding aid is a description of an archival collection, usually containing a history of the person or organization that produced the collection and an inventory of its contents.
When browsing this list of finding aids, please select “outline view” to retrieve a table of contents list links to a view which displays a navigation frame with individual sections of the finding aid; the sections may be searched and printed separately. This view will load quickly. You may select “full view” to view a single file which may be used for printing or searching within the entire finding aid, or if you encounter difficulty in using frames. A lengthy finding aid may load very slowly in full view. Additionally, you may select “PDF” to view and print the finding aid using Adobe Portable Document format.
Encoded Archival Description, (EAD) Documents
EAD documents list the contents of single collections from the Rare Book and Special Collections Division.
- David Homer Bates Papers [View Finding aid] [PDF: 55KB/ ] 8 pages
- Ralph Ellison Collection, 1937-2010 [View Finding aid] [PDF:2.21 MB] 355 pages
- Grenfell Press Archive Collection, 1979-1992 [view finding aid] -[PDF version/ 72.6 KB] 18 pages
- Janus Press Archive [view finding aid] - [PDF version/ 100 KB] 24 pages
- King Lear Archive [view finding aid] - [PDF version/ 34 KB] 7 pages
- Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection archive, 1913-2005 [view finding aid] - [PDF version/55.65 KB] 14 pages
- Pforzheimer Collection of Bruce Rogers Materials, 1200-1957 [view finding aid] - [PDF version/201 KB] 52 pages
- Post-World War II Posters from Germany, 1945-1947 [view finding aid] - [PDF version 502 KB] 125 pages
- Posters of the German Military Government in the Generalgouvernement Warshau (German occupied Poland) from World War I, 1915-1916 [view finding aid] - [PDF version/129 KB] 19 pages
- Scrapbooks Compiled by Thompson and Chesson, (1797-1886) [view finding aid] - [PDF version/507.82 KB] 136 pages
- Serials and miscellaneous publications of the underground movements in Europe during World War II, 1936-1945 [view finding aid] - [PDF version 1.26 MB] 134 pages
- [Theater programs, playbills and miscellany from the Rouben Mamoulian Collection, 1930-1982] [view finding aid] - [PDF version:108 KB/] 20 pages
- Otto Vollbehr Collection Printers' and Publishers' Marks [view finding aid] - [PDF version/64.65 KB] 7 pages
Other Finding Aids
Lists of items that may be from multiple collections and/or Library Divisions that concentrate on a single topic.