Selected Special Collections
Accademia Della Crusca Collection
Italian-language publications representing the best usage of Italian in the humanities and sciences
The Academy's purpose was to bring scholars and experts in Italian linguistics and philology. It was founded in Florence in 1583 by Antonio Francesco Grazzin with the mission to maintain the "purity" of the original Italian language. In 1612 the Academy published the first edition of the Dictionary of the Italian Language, which also served as a model for subsequent dictionaries in French, Spanish, German and English. 1,134 titles are dispersed throughout the Rare Book and Special Collection Division.
See: http://lccn.loc.gov/ca33000546 for details.