New York World-Telegram & Sun
Newspaper Photograph Collection
Rights and Restrictions Information
Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., 20540-4730
This collection includes original and copy photographs, artwork,
and prints, created prior to 1968. The majority of the photographs
were gathered from diverse sources including wire services, commercial
photo studios, publicity photo distributors, and amateur photographers.
These photographs may be restricted by copyright. Some photos are not identified
with the name of their creator or their source. A small portion of the photographs were taken by NYWT&S staff photographers, and are in the public domain per the
instrument of gift. These photos can be recognized by such stamps as
"World-Telegram photo" or "World-Telegram photo by Ed Palumbo." Privacy and publicity rights may also apply.
Access: Subject to P&P policy on serving
originals. (Five working days may be needed to retrieve material
from off-site storage.)
Reproduction (photocopying, hand-held camera copying,
photoduplication and other forms of copying allowed by "fair
use"): Subject to P&P policy on copying.
Publication and other forms of distribution: May be
- Wire service, professional photographer, studio, publicity, or other photographs and original artwork from commercial sources dating 1923 and after may be restricted by copyright and patrons are advised to check for copyright prior to publication or other forms of distribution. The commercial status of these images can be recognized by the appearance of the name of a wire service, a photographer, or a studio on the image, (e.g., ACME, Lotte Jacobi, Columbia Pictures.) More information on specific wire services is available for Associated Press/Wide World, Black Star, United Press International, ACME, and other company names. As the Division learns of photographers' current addresses, that information is added under the name of the photographer (see the Rights and Restrictions Information page).
- Images by unidentified creators and images from unidentified sources are problematic because of the lack of information. Patrons who wish to show that a reasonable effort was made to determine copyright status should perform a copyright search and retain a record of the search.
- NYWT&S staff photographs are in the public
domain per the instrument of gift. These photos can be recognized
by such stamps as "World-Telegram photo" or "World-Telegram photo
by Ed Palumbo."
- U.S. Government-issued photographs are considered to be in the public domain.
- Original artwork
- Privacy and publicity rights may also apply.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs
Division, NYWT&S Collection, [reproduction number, e.g., LC-USZ62-111157]
For more information, please read: Copyright
and Other Restrictions: ... Sources for Information
Prepared by: Prints and Photographs Division staff. Last revised: October