The Massachusetts Spy or, American Oracle of Liberty,
- The Massachusetts Spy or, American Oracle of Liberty of Wednesday,
May 3,1775, is "Vol. V, Numbr. 219." It was published by Isaiah
Thomas, an outstanding newspaper editor and publisher of the time, after his
removal from Boston to avoid the British troops.
- The type of words "Massachusetts Spy" in the title heading is
elaborately ornamented with flourishes which often cause it to be misread
"Massachusetts Sun." Above the title are the Words, "Americans!
- Liberty or Death! - Join or Die!"
- The Library of Congress has the first two pages of an original of this issue
printed on rag paper showing the usual parallel chain line watermarks an inch
apart. The Library also has a facsimile reproduction readily distinguished
from the original by the absence of the chain lines. The lower margin of the
first page of the reprint bears the notation, "This News-paper is the
first Thing ever printed in Worcester - Isaiah Thomas." This inscription
shows that the reproduction was made from the original in the American Antiquarian
Society at Worcester since that copy bears Thomas's note. Possibly the facsimile
was made in 1876.
- Copies brought to our attention have always been such reprints and of little