- About the Main Reading Room
- The Library's principal reference and
book service point for the general collections.
- Main Reading Room Reference Collection
- About the 70,000-volume general reference collection
on the Main Reading Room's open shelves.
- Microform and Electronic Resources Center (LJ-139, the former Computer Catalog Center)
- The Library's principal service point for
searching the online catalog, subscription
databases, CD-ROMs, and the Internet.
- Bibliographies and Guides
- Full text published guides for the Library's general
collections. Our latest addition: Finding British Parliamentary Publications at the Library of Congress
- Alcove 9 --
Reference Web sites
- A selective list of other Internet resources in the humanities
and social sciences.
Why You Should Come to the Library of Congressís Main Reading Room to Begin Your Research! A transcript of the above video is available.
How to Find Stuff at the Largest Library in the World! A transcript of the above video is available.
101 Independence Ave. SE
Thomas Jefferson Bldg, LJ 100
Washington, D.C. 20540-4660
Telephone: (202) 707-3399
Map showing location
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday:
8:30am - 9:30pm
Tuesday, Friday, Saturday:
8:30am - 5:00pm
Closed Sunday & Federal Holidays
Ask a Librarian
to ask the reference staff a question about the general
Information for Researchers
Find out about research orientations, reader registration,
online and card catalogs, how to request
materials and other Library policies.