|The Philip Lee Phillips Society Map Society of the Library of Congress has been established to further
develop, enhance and promote the collections of the Geography and Map Division by encouraging financial donations to
supplement appropriated funds for the acquisition of rare maps; stimulating interest among map collectors, map producers,
geographers, cartographers, and historians in order to make the vast resources of the nation's premier cartographic and
geographic collections more widely available; facilitating gifts and bequests of significant geographic and cartographic
materials in order to further develop its collections; and advancing the Geography and Map Division's publication,
education, and exhibition programs.
The Society is named in honor of Philip Lee Phillips (1857-1924), the first Superintendent of Maps when the Hall of Maps
and Charts was established in 1897.