The Judge Advocate General's School
United States Army
University of Michigan Law School
Ann Arbor, Michigan
In 1942, the Judge Advocate General's School opened on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Initially, the School was under the leadership of Colonel Edward H. "Ham" Young, who determined the curriculum and put together the initial staff and faculty. When Young departed for a new assignment in late 1944, he was succeeded by Colonel Reginald C. Miller, who served as Commandant until the School closed in 1946. During its operation at the University of Michigan, the School transformed hundreds of civilian lawyers into Army judge advocates. These military lawyers ultimately served as uniformed attorneys in a variety of world-wide locations, including Australia, China, England, France, Germany, India, Japan, and Morocco. These scrapbooks contain photographs, newspaper articles, graduation programs, and other documents related to the operation of the School from 1943 to 1946.