Volunteer Internship Program
The Business Reference Section offers a limited number of volunteer internships which allow individuals to work with collections relating to business, economic or labor studies. Although these internships are unpaid, they may be useful in exploring career options or in obtaining the experience necessary to enter an academic or special business library, or another business-related profession. In some cases interns who are students have been able to arrange for academic credit through their academic institutions.
The Volunteer Internship Program seeks to provide:
- hands-on educational experience in business, economic, or labor studies and library or information science;
- an opportunity to build networks with current and future generations of professionals;
- in-depth exposure to the Library's collections and resources; and
- activities that benefit both the intern and the Science, Technology & Business Division.
Interns typically work on producing annotated bibliographies and updating the Business Reference Services' web pages, but may also be involved in reference, processing, special projects, and events, depending on their experience and the needs of the Section. See the Business Reference Services home page under "Bibliographies and Guides" for examples of the guides we produce.
The period of internship may range from several weeks to a year. Our preference is that individuals be able to work a minimum 150 hours. Students with an interest in business, economics, or labor studies who are working toward a degree in library or information science are particularly encouraged to apply. Some prior experience in a library setting is preferred. Part-time arrangements are possible. Interested applicants should have:
- an interest in one or more of the subjects covered by the Section
- an interest in working in a library;
- the ability to commit to a minimum of 150 hours.
- the ability to schedule an internship during core business hours (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday)
Note that many variations in schedule are possible within this time frame: Some possible schedules include:
- 40 hours/week, 8:30-5:00 Monday - Friday (includes 1/2 hour lunch break)
- 20 hours/week, 8:30-12:30 Monday - Friday
- 20 hours/week, 1:00-5:00 Monday - Friday
- 20 hours/week, 8:30-5:00 Monday and Wednesday (includes 1/2 hour lunch break) and 9:00-1:00 Friday
- 10 hours/week, 9:00-2:30 Tuesday and Friday (includes 1/2 hour lunch break)
We accept applications throughout the year. To apply, please send via email a resume, contact information for one or more references, and a cover letter to Carolyn Larson, Head, Business Reference Section (clar at loc.gov). (Security measures at the Library will substantially delay communications sent by standard mail or courier service.) Please include in your application a phone number where you can be reached, a short statement describing why you are interested in an internship in the Business Reference Section, and an indication of when you would like to schedule your internship.