Site Map Search the Catalog Kids Zone Find a Library FAQ
Sign Up Contact Us
Home > About
NLS > Functions > Organization Chart
NLS: That All May Read
Office of the Director
Manages the National Library Service; forms policy and plans programs; coordinates
Materials Development Division and Network Division; plans and implements
automation activities; coordinates research and development projects; coordinates
- Administrative Section
- Coordinates personnel transactions; maintains travel, training, and other
official records; handles fiscal and contractual activities; coordinates
- Publications and Media Section
- Plans and publishes program publications for users, librarians, and general
public; coordinates national exhibit programs; develops mass-media public
service materials and conducts a national public education program.
Materials Development Division
Manages activities related to research selection, production, bibliographic
description, and distribution of braille and recorded reading materials and
development, evaluation, testing production, and distribution of equipment;
coordinates equipment repair; maintains liaison with publishers, contractors,
- Collection Development Section
- Selects reading materials to be produced in appropriate media; acquires
print books; requests copyright clearance; prepares annotations; conducts
advisory committees; develops foreign-language and other special collection
- Bibliographic Control Section
- Handles bibliographic processing, maintenance, and control; establishes
national cataloging standards; coordinates union catalog activities and
computer-produced catalog and related products.
- Production Control Section
- Controls and monitors production and distribution of reading materials
on audio cassettes and in braille.
- Recording Studio Unit
- Determines narration requirements; provides guidance to manufacturers
and volunteers; schedules and records materials.
- Braille Development Section
- Develops specifications for all braille products; advises on braille research
and development projects; prepares guides and teaching manuals on all codes
of braille; trains, recommends certification, and advises volunteers and
others who produce braille.
- Engineering Section
- Develops specifications and monitors production of audio products and processes
generated by the Materials Development Division.
- Quality Assurance Section
- Assures quality and performance of all products in conformance with established
standards and specifications.
Manages activities related to network development, guidance, and monitoring
of service to users in accordance with established standards; determines user
eligibility; maintains liaison with libraries, related agencies, volunteers,
consumers, and the general public; monitors multistate center operations.
- Consumer Relations Officer
- Ensures regular consumer input in NLS program from individual users and
consumer groups; disseminates information about user inquiries.
- Inventory Management Section
- Controls national inventory of program materials; coordinates all shipping
and receiving activities for NLS; maintains and circulates NLS book collections;
coordinates excess and redistribution programs.
- Music Section
- Develops, maintains, circulates, and promotes use of national large-print,
recorded, and braille music collection; provides music reference services;
develops and distributes instructional materials.
- Network Services Section
- Coordinates a variety of national network activities, including consultation
with network libraries on their programs; directs network interlibrary loan
program; compiles and prepares bibliographies; handles direct service to U.S. citizens living abroad.
- Reference Section
- Maintains print reference collection and provides information services
on the NLS program and on handicapping conditions to staff, network agencies,
and the public; issues reference circulars; maintains archives of NLS print
publications. Provides consultant services on volunteer programs in network