NAME: Definition of Subfield $v for Form Subdivision in the USMARC Formats
SOURCE: ALA/ALCTS Subject Analysis Committee
SUMMARY: This paper proposes a new subfield $v for form subdivisions in fields 6XX and 755 in the bibliographic format, 1XX, 4XX, and 5XX in the authority format, 75X in the classification format, and 6XX in the community information format and new fields 183, 483, 583, and 783 for subdivision headings in the authority format. It reviews the desirability for such a subfield and discusses technical issues involved in implementing such a change. It poses questions on retrospective conversion, issues of authority control and implementation options.
KEYWORDS: Subfield $v (Bibliographic/Authority/Classification/ Community Information); Form Subdivisions; Field 183 (Authority); Field 483 (Authority); Field 583 (Authority); Field 783 (Authority)
RELATED: DP79 (June 1994); DP74 (February 1994)
12/2/94 - Forwarded to USMARC Advisory Group for discussion at the February 1995 MARBI meetings.
2/16/95 - Results of USMARC Advisory Group discussion - Approved as amended.
The description of subfield $k (Form subheading) needs to be changed so that there is not confusion with subfield $v. The field tag should be changed to 185, 485, 585, 785 in the authority format for Form subdivision. Examples need to be added for thesauri other than LCSH (MeSH, AAT). With the approval of this proposal, thesauri other than LCSH can begin to use subfield $v.
LC was encouraged to develop a plan for implementation for LCSH. Discussion indicated that to do so LC will need to consider the following issues:
1) look at the list of form subdivisions to determine which are dual functioning
2) global update at LC will need to be in place before any retrospective conversion
3) SAC will work with LC to plan possible implementation (which may be phased in over a period of time, coordinated with other parties)
4) LC will look at possible algorithms for conversion; discussion may be on USMARC list
5) Studies concerning possible OPAC displays need to be conducted. Vendors will need input on this; SAC is looking at display issues
6) LC needs to develop a plan for the use of field 655
2/16/95 - Results of final LC review - Agreed with the MARBI decisions.