To link to this article, copy this persistent link:
(Dec 28, 2012)
According to Law No. 12,741, promulgated by Brazilian President Dilma Roussef on December 8, 2012 (Lei No. 12.741, de 8 de Dezembro de 2012, PLANALTO.GOV.BR), in six months all taxes paid in a commercial transaction will have to be listed separately on the customer's receipt (art. 6). (Adriana Mendes & Flavia Pierry, Dilma Sanciona Lei que Obriga Informar Tributos na Nota Fiscal, O GLOBO (Dec. 10, 2012).)
The purpose of the Law is to provide transparency to the taxpayer in regard to the taxes that are being paid on commercial transactions. The information must be listed in reference to each good or service, separately, including individual listing of all federal, state, and municipal taxes. (
Pursuant to article5(§5) of Law No. 12,741, the taxes that must be described on the receipt are:
- the Tax on the Circulation of Goods and Supply of Services and of Interstate and Inter-Municipal Transportation and Communication (Imposto sobre Operações relativas a Circulação de Mercadorias e sobre Prestações de Serviços de Transporte Interestadual e Intermunicipal e de Comunicação - ICMS);
- the Tax on Services of Any Nature (Imposto sobre Serviços de Qualquer Natureza - ISS);
- the Tax on Industrialized Products (Imposto sobre Produtos Industrializados - IPI);
- the Tax on Credit, Exchange, and Insurance Transactions or Related to Bonds or Securities (IOF); (Imposto sobre Operações de Crédito, Câmbio e Seguro, ou Relativas a Títulos ou Valores Mobiliários - IOF);
- the Social Contribution for the Social Integration Program (Contribuição Social para o Programa de Integração Social - PIS) and for the Training Program of the Civil Servant (Programa de Formação do Patrimônio do Servidor Público - PASEP);
- the Contribution to Social Security Financing (Contribuição para o Financiamento da Seguridade Social - COFINS); and
- the Contribution for Intervention in the Economic Domain Levied on the Import and Trade of Oil and Oil Products and Natural Gas and Their Derivatives, and on Ethanol Fuel (Contribuição de Intervenção no Domínio Econômico, incidente sobre a importação e a comercialização de petróleo e seus derivados, gás natural e seus derivados, e álcool etílico combustível - CIDE).
|Author:||Eduardo Soares More by this author|
|Topic:||Taxation More on this topic|
|Jurisdiction:||Brazil More about this jurisdiction|
Search Legal News
Find legal news by topic, country, keyword, date, or author.
Global Legal Monitor RSS
Get the Global Legal Monitor delivered to your inbox. Sign up for RSS service.
The Global Legal Monitor is an online publication from the Law Library of Congress covering legal news and developments worldwide. It is updated frequently and draws on information from the Global Legal Information Network, official national legal publications, and reliable press sources. You can find previous news by searching the GLM.
Last updated: 12/28/2012