Maps Colton's map of the southern states. Including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. Showing also part of adjoining states & territories locating the forts & military stations of the U. States & showing all the rail roads, r. r. stations, & other internal improvements.
Colton, J. H.
Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins)
- Colton's map of the southern states. Including Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. Showing also part of adjoining states & territories locating the forts & military stations of the U. States & showing all the rail roads, r. r. stations, & other internal improvements.
- Contributor Names
- Colton, J. H. (Joseph Hutchins), 1800-1893.
- Created / Published
- New York, J. H. Colton, 1861.
- Subject Headings
- - Southern States--Maps
- - United States--Southern States
- - Scale ca. 1:1,520,640.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 6.5
- - "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 185[5?] by J.H. Colton & Co."
- - Inset: Southern part of Florida. 27 x 19 cm.
- - Includes tables of population based on the "United States Census for 1860."
- - General map.
- - Title printed to right of map.
- - "No. 6" in upper left corner.
- - Map is reproduced from the steel plates used to print J. Calvin Smith's "Map of the United States of America including Canada and a large portion of Texas" (New York, Sherman &Smith, 1843).
- - 1862 editions listed as items 25.5-25.6; 1863 edition listed as Civil War Maps item 37.6.
- - Description derived from published bibliography.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 1 map on 2 sheets, col., each 94 x 68 cm.
- Call Number
- G3860 1861 .C6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.