Maps Map of the Rappahannock River fron [sic] Port Royal to Richards Ferry /
- Map of the Rappahannock River fron [sic] Port Royal to Richards Ferry /
- Other Title
- Map of the Rappahannock River from Port Royal to Richards Ferry
- Contributor Names
- Vernam, John S.
- Woodbury, Daniel P. (Daniel Phineas), 1812-1864.
- Benham, Henry Washington, 1813-1884.
- United States. Army of the Potomac. Engineer Brigade.
- United States Coast Survey.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Rappahannock River Valley (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Rappahannock River Valley (Va.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Fredericksburg Region (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
- - Fredericksburg Region (Va.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Military bridges--Virginia--Rappahannock River--Maps
- - Military bridges--Virginia--Fredericksburg Region--Maps
- - United States--Virginia--Rappahannock River Valley
- - United States--Virginia--Fredericksburg Region
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Also covers Fredericksburg city region.
- - Shows "Lines of Gen. Hooker" at Chancellorsville, "Battle field of Gen. Sedgwick" at Salem Church, military bridges, towns, farmsteads with residents' names, wooded areas, and streams.
- - Pen-and-ink (black/red) and watercolor (blue).
- - Endorsed in ink handwriting on verso on 2 panels: Map of the Rappahannock from Port Royal to Kelly's Ford, showing the crossings of Gen. Hookers army and the ground occupied by our forces in and around Chancellorville [sic].
- - Oriented with north toward the upper left.
- - A printed version of this map appears as plate 39, map 2, in the U.S. War Dept.'s: Atlas to accompany the official records of the Union and Confederate armies (Washington, G.P.O., 1891-95).
- - The area south of Chancellorsville is on a separate linen sheet spliced to the bottom of the main sheet.
- - Includes index of military bridge construction sites.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 619.6
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Transfer from the Gist Blair papers; LC Manuscript Division; 1936.
- - Vault
- 1 ms. map : col., tracing linen ; on sheet 42 x 88 cm., folded to 18 x 8 cm.
- Call Number
- G3882.R38S5 1863 .V4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.