This exhibition was developed under the leadership of James H. Billington, Librarian of Congress.
Staff for the Exhibition
- William Jacobs, Chief, Interpretive Programs Office
- Cynthia Wayne, Exhibition Director, Interpretive Programs Office
- Sara W. Duke, Co-Curator, Prints and Photographs Division
- Martha H. Kennedy, Co-Curator, Prints and Photographs Division
- Deborah Durbeck, Production Officer, Interpretive Programs Office
Interpretive Programs Office Staff
- Denise Agee
- Kimberli Curry
- Vicki Fortuno
- David Hayward
- Martha Hopkins
- Carroll Johnson-Welsh
- Antonio La Greca
- Tambra Johnson
- Cheryl Regan
- Patrick Shepler
- Rachel Waldron
- Susan Mordan-White
- Betsy Nahum-Miller
- Christopher O’Connor
- Sam Serafy
The accompanying video was adapted from a film produced for the Herb Block Foundation by Catherine Shields and Sara Lukinson, Pip and Pocket Films.
Special thanks are due to the following members of the Library of Congress staff for their assistance with this exhibition:
- Deanna Marcum, Library Services
- Jeremy Adamson, Collections and Services
- Helena Zinkham, Phil Michel, Pete Richey, Katherine Arrington, Woody Woodis, Antoinette O’Bryant, Elisabeth Parker, Carol Acevado, Rene Maes, Alexandra Newman, and Mary Tucker, Prints and Photographs Division
- Kaare Chaffee, Dana Hemmenway, Holly Krueger, Susan Peckham, and, Conservation Division
- Dorothy Gholston, Printing Management Section
- Stanley Bandong, Graphic Arts Services Unit
- Jim Karamanis, Thip Padavong, Rohit Gupta, Laura Moiseev, Umesh Kant, Phillip Buggs, Qun Lai, Dan Trachtman, Laurent Teyssere, Anand Ramanan, Prashant Bhoyar, Web Services
- Andrew Cook, Thad Jeffers, Domenic Sergi, ITS Scan Labs
Exhibition and brochure design
- The PRD Group Ltd.
Reproduction of original art
- CSC/Integrated Customer Solutions
The Library of Congress would like to thank the Herb Block Foundation for its generous donation of Herb Block’s archive of drawings and manuscripts, as well as funds to preserve and exhibit the collection. Special thanks to Jean Rickard, Frank Swoboda, Marcela Brane, and Sarah Armstrong for their assistance and support. The expertise contributed by Harry Katz and Warren Bernard is also appreciated.
The Library of Congress thanks Donald E. Graham, publisher, and Rima Calderon, curator of the Washington Post, for lending three objects to this exhibition.
The companion book to this exhibition Herblock: The Life and Work of the Great Political Cartoonist, edited by Harry Katz (New York, London: Herb Block Foundation and Library of Congress in association with W.W. Norton and Company, 2009) includes essays by Haynes Johnson, Katz, and Herb Block.
Cover Image [for home page]
- [detail of Herblock working at the Washington Post], n.d. Gelatin silver print. Herbert L. Block Collection, Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress [LC-DIG-ppmsca-22216]