Notebooks of letters from Charles H. Brewster to his mother Martha C. Brewster, 1861-1864
Charles H. Brewster
Courtesy of Historic Northampton
- Historic Northampton Museum & Education Center
- Four notebooks containing copies of letters from Brewster to his mother, in Northampton, Mass., reflecting his activities with the 10th Regiment, battles fought, and everyday military life. He also answers questions from his family and offers his opinions regarding life back on the home front.
- From a letter dated Apr. 3, 1864 to "Dear Mary":
- "Tell Mrs. Matt that I congratulate her upon her promotion into the ranks of the old married ladies, and her invitations to thier [sic] tea drinkings, and tell her moreover not to forget to answer my letter... I am glad you have heard from Aunt Lu again and have a prospect of communicating with her. I think I shall write to her ..."
- Source: p. 281, When This Cruel War is Over: The Civil War Letters of Charles Harvey Brewster, edited with an introduction by David W. Blight (Amherst, Mass.: The University of Massachusetts Press, 1992).
(See the NUCMC catalog record) (PDF, 98 KB)