The BIBCO Standard Record (BSR) is a “model” for bibliographic monographic records using a single encoding level in a shared database environment. Catalogers satisfy BSR requirements when creating and/or modifying bibliographic records, and determine the level of fullness that best suits the resources in their collections and the needs of their users.
The BSR is a floor record which emphasizes access points over extensive, redundant descriptive data. Metadata application profiles (MAPs) provide catalogers with a set of mandatory elements and mandatory if applicable elements appropriate to bibliographic formats. These elements have been determined to support user needs to find, identify, select, and obtain resources. Authority records must support controlled access points in a BSR.
Elements in the MAPs are accompanied by use values and, in some cases, prescription for subfields or other basic points. It is recognized that institutions may not want or need to use the BSR for every material type. BSRs for all material types share these Characteristics (PDF, 22 KB).
RDA-based BSR MAPS
The BIBCO Standard Record (BSR) metadata application profile based on RDA includes elements applicable to archival materials, audio recordings, cartographic resources, electronic resources (if cataloged in the computer file format), graphic materials, moving images, notated music, rare materials, and textual monographs. The RDA BSR is arranged along a baseline for RDA elements.
AACR2-based BSR MAPS
Multiple AACR2 BSR metadata application profiles are available for different types of materials. Elements in the BSR MAPS for AACR2 are arranged in MARC field order.
- Textual Monographs (PDF, 35 KB) BSR for Textual Monographs FAQ (PDF, 19 KB)
- Rare Books (BSR/RB) (PDF, 35 KB)
- Cartographic Materials (BSR/CART) (PDF, 35 KB)
- Notated Music (BSR/SCO) (PDF, 32 KB)
- Sound Recordings (BSR/SR) (PDF, 33 KB)
- Moving Image Materials (PDF, 35 KB)
- Graphic Materials (BSR/Graphic) (PDF, 32 KB)
- Supplemental Requirements for the Digital Aspects of All Formats Except Electronic Resources (PDF, 50 KB)
- Electronic Resources (BSR/E-Resources) (PDF, 32 KB)
- Archival Collections (BSR/Archival Collections) (PDF, 49 KB)
- Consolidated BSR Chart (PDF, 1729 KB)
Final BSR Task Group Reports
BIBCO Standard Record Task Group Final Reports (AACR2) July 16, 2010
RDA and the BIBCO Standard Record (BSR) for Textual Monographs May 5, 2012 (Word, 131 KB)
- Test of the BIBCO Standard Record (external link)
A study conducted by staff at University of Washington: Diana M. Brooking (project leader), Joseph A. Kiegel, Adam L. Schiff.
- BIBCO Full Record Standard [Superseded by the BIBCO Standard Record Oct. 1, 2010]
- BIBCO Core Record Standards [Superseded by the BIBCO Standard Record Oct. 1, 2010]